• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling Heath Autumn 2014 - Thursday 25th Sep - Sunday 28th Sep - Discussion Thread

Guest Kheldar

Don't forget that even if your pitch has a poor outlook, we set up the scopes in the middle where everyone has good sky. This also has the advantage of being able to leave things set up, as there is someone watching over them. I have been twice now, and there has been no problems. It's handy when looking for more difficult objects as you can see where others are looking, and adjust your scope to get it.

I can see the advantages of that but what happens if your one of those sad people (me before anyone get upset) that flys by wires ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tibbz2

• red dwalf

• Daz Type-R

• Sheila

Oh, so you can operate stuff from your tent or something like? 

I don't know about that, but I think most did alright last year. You would need one of the dark arters to comment further on this.

there`s no problem with still being able to set up towards the middle of the pitches, they are big pitches and we don`t clump the scopes all together in a few square yards, so once set up with gear under your mount i just have a 5 meter active usb cable running to my tent where i setup the pc.

you can of course set up any way you wish and some do it differently but if the scope and gear can be seen by everyone it`s just nice to know that there`s alot of extra eyes watching over your stuff, don`t think there`s ever been anything gone missing before but it`s still nice to know.

I don't set up in the middle but at the side of tent so folks don't

trip over cables. And again 5m active USB into tent so only

One trailing wire to worry about :). You will see how various

folks do it when u get there

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Nice one, get cracking on booking it then, we are in the blue field, if you manage to get a spot and it's rubbish (under trees etc) don't worry, just set you kit up near us in the middle!

Nice one, get cracking on booking it then, we are in the blue field, if you manage to get a spot and it's rubbish (under trees etc) don't worry, just set you kit up near us in the middle!

I thought it was all booked up!

So I've been able to get use of a caravan on the site for the weekend :)

I thought it was all booked up!

So I've been able to get use of a caravan on the site for the weekend :)

We had some spare when the block booking was handed back to Kelling, it might have been worth giving them a ring and seeing if any are still free.

But a tin snail sounds great!

At least your gonna be there!

:thumbsup:

We had some spare when the block booking was handed back to Kelling, it might have been worth giving them a ring and seeing if any are still free.

But a tin snail sounds great!

At least your gonna be there!

:thumbsup:

As long as I can find somewhere to plonk the scope it should be fine :P

Just a thought, if anyone does want to come and theres no spaces, you could try see if they let you double up on my pitch as last time I barely too up 1/3 of my pitch

Guest CodnorPaul

I am sure there will Tibbz and you can squeeze your dob onto our pitch if required between me and Damian and leave it there - hope you've got some dew control now... ;)

• 1 month later...

Started to get excited now, events look like Im gonna make it after all, phew, so havebeen slowly sorting stuff. Will make final decision on scope/s to take tomorrow

Well I have been home for about an hour now.

Everything is unpacked the mount is back on its pier.

What a brilliant few days I have had.

Meeting up with all the folks from on here again was a sheer pleasure.

I must give a massive thank you to Sheila for keeping me fed so well.  :2thumbsup:  :air_kiss: 

Had a great time thanks to you folks cannot wait for the next one. :party: