• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kelling Heath Autumn 2014 - OFFICIAL BOOKING THREAD

Guest Kheldar

Guest alfieboy

Shelia and Daz Type - R

we are looking forward to kelling heath star party in a few weeks - as this is my first trip ( and looking forward to it ) just wondering what procedures we need to follow -if any and advice on what really we need to bring... I know lots of beer but we are in a lodge and need to trek to site and back with telescopes etc... so we have the basics but do we need to bring tents ? to cover telescopes on a bad night not sure....

Any advice would be welcome :blush:

Guest CodnorPaul

Hi Robert

Rather than a tent I would look at a scope coat (RVO sell them, most do) and they are handy for all year use.  The lodges are all under trees so as you say you will need to move to observe - sure you know we are all in the blue field.

There is not a lot you will need if you are in a lodge outside of what you would normally use when setting up - warm clothes etc. and a red torch so you can find your way.

Oh and even if it is cloudy we will be out drinking so don't be shy...

Hi,

Much of what Paul says is valid, I will start a bit of a list of Do's and Dont's, might be clearer (there is hardly and Don'ts, it's meant to be fun after all).

DONT.

•     Use a white light any where other than inside your lodge (and please make sure all porch lights are off on your lodge, we had somebody stopping in a lodge last year on the edge of the woods who left their porch light on, even when they went to bed). :angry:

DO.

•     Your more than welcome (space permitting) to set your kit up and leave it over with us (under a cover / tent / scope cover like Paul suggests, saves you lugging it around all night, I / we can not  claim responsibility for it though but we all leave ours out weather permitting.  There is normally somebody knocking around though but we do have friends who stop in the Red and Yellow fields, then there is the pub and shops etc that we must visit.  ;)
  •     Bring plenty of warm cloths, gloves, hats etc, it gets really cold at 3:00am, pack more than you think you need.
  •     Bring credit cards / cash for the astro buy stalls on Saturday, normally do some sort of discount on products, some of the main retailers are there.
  •     You will need a red light torch to see what you are doing if you are with us observing, so one with a head strap is a good idea as it keeps your hands free.

That's about it.

We are all stopping in tents on the Blue field, so once I park up that's it, I don't use the car until home time, I set up, set the kit up, eat plenty, drink plenty, have a chat, spend money on stuff I probably shouldn't buy and generally have a laugh, ohh, weather permitting I do some observing as well. ;):P

If I think of anything else I will add it to the list, other than that i`m sure other people will come up with something I have forgotten.

If I don't see you before, see you at Kelling.

Guest alfieboy

Paul and Daz

Thanks for the info Gents...  and look forward to spending some quality nights at Kelling- will bring the pennies for the stalls but also some beer and warm clothing, also thank you for kind response to leaving our kit with you ..... will bring some cakes for that :D but I am looking forward to the site and the banter I have heard so much about .

Again thank you for the info, very kind

Hi robert, you will enjoy it I promise! This will be third time and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm in a caravan again this time (getting to old to rough it in a tent now!!) but the dark sky is great and as Daz says the banter, the beer (or wine!) and the Sunday Astro market are all good and the company is great too.

See you there  :)  :)

Cheers

Ron

Blue 240

Only thing I would add is that the scope covers from greenwitch are really

Good. Also as it's a long night would suggest bringing folding chairs

with you to sit on. Long night and the beer can be best drunk sitting

down :lol:

Sheila

If anyone needs a copy of their booking please PM me your e mail address:

i have confirmations on pitches

232 not sure i think this was altered

Guest CodnorPaul

im a learner and don't have a scope can I still come on the fri and sat night ?

You will struggle to get a pitch now I would have thought - we generally book a year in advance and the pitches go quite quickly?

As per what Paul said, these pitches are booked a full year in advance, you could phone Kelling Heath and see if anything is available but the pitches we block booked that didn't sell had to be handed back to a Kelling about 10 months ago.

Failing that I don't know what Kellings visitor policy is like (if they have one) or if there are even any gates that get locked but you could always pop over as a visitor, worth asking?

All book up. Some one I know tried last week. The weekend before has spaces but not much good I know. Day visitors are welcome according to the info and i,m sure they are not going to be bothered if you set up a scope for the evening. Then just get a bnb near by.

Bring a sleeping bag Andy, usually room in a tent somewhere!! :)

I'm all sorted in the yellow field with the Ilkeston lot thanks Ron. It was more for simons benefit ;-)