• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Issues Connecting

Craig

Following some reports of problems connecting, I've raised a ticket with our host to investigate.

Hello, there have been some issues with certain ISP's that are having trouble, it seems there is a major provider that is currently investigating connectivity issues at a high level, way above us, that are playing into this.

We hope they have this resolved very soon however.

Thank you

Regards,

Rhett
Hosting & Support Manager
Invision Power Services Inc

In other words, it's a coincidence. It's the local ISPs that are having difficulty so we've just timed it unlucky. If you know of anybody having problems, please let them know. :)

It looks like BT plus their wholesale users as well.

I'm on VM and have had some random timeouts, but intermittent and infrequent.

I am on BT and had no problems re- connecting.

i had no issues reconnecting yesterday, it just went all wrong tonight for some reason

i had no issues reconnecting yesterday, it just went all wrong tonight for some reason

Same, fine for the day then suddenly down for a bit... All's well now though :)

Ron is having trouble, he texted me last night. Kim is not online either, although I think that may be a hardware fault. I have tried to contact Kim, but had no success. ( He ignores phones ).

I'm in touch with Kim. He'll try again today.

The problems should be fixed by now.

On at last, could not connect last night so did the 'flushing dns' stuff, managed this morning but had to turn Firewall off? Also on BT!!

Di contacted me on Monday, Kim's PC crashed at the end of last week. Now it is fixed he couldn't get onto EMS. I told him to ring Craig days ago.

On at last, could not connect last night so did the 'flushing dns' stuff, managed this morning but had to turn Firewall off? Also on BT!!

I would never recommend turning the firewall off. It'll likely be pure coincidence that it appeared to help.

The issue was a peering one, where two or more ISPs cannot exchange data. This affected BT, PlusNet and Virgin Media.

+1 on that Craig. Turning the firewall off probably just flushed and reloaded the network stack.