• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Get dark adapted

Tweedledee

Do you find that some nights you feel that you could have enjoyed an observing session, possibly even just a short one, but didn't because of reasons similar to the following?...

A TV program you really wanted to watch.
Some work to do on the computer that you really needed to finish.
Need to reply to that urgent PM on EMS.
All topped off by the fact that you would need yet another half hour of dark adaptation after completing these things and you really need to get to bed to function properly at work the next day.

I am in this situation regularly, and short of winning the lottery and giving up work, I think I have found a solution that helps if you are busy and have limited spare time.

These goggles do a marvellous job.

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-astrogoggles.htm

Just wear them for 15 minutes or better still half an hour, whilst finishing those important tasks and you will be pretty much fully dark adapted and immediately ready to observe those elusive nebulae through the telescope or binoculars. They will even fit nicely over spectacles. TV looks monochrome through them, but some of us can remember when TV programs were only available in black and white, and may even get a nice sense of nostalgia from wearing them.

As I have found with my wife and kids when sat there in the lounge wearing this ultra cool designer headwear, I become the subject of their envy. They look and point and even take photos on their phones to show their friends, or post on Facebook, and there is an air of happiness and giggles throughout the house. So that's another bonus. B)

Do you think they'd look good down the pub on a 70's disco night to complement the gold spandex and multi-coloured platform shoes? Just leave the scope set up ready for when they chuck you out. :thumbsup:

Cool :)

I keep meaning to dark adapt my fridge's interior light so i can still have an astro-cuppa without scorching my retinas.

Jd

Cool :)

I keep meaning to dark adapt my fridge's interior light so i can still have an astro-cuppa without scorching my retinas.

Jd

Now that's just silly!

If it's white, you need to flock it inside and out as well. :P

Bit expensive though!

You can afford the spare time. :)

Guest devil74

Do you think they'd look good down the pub on a 70's disco night to complement the gold spandex and multi-coloured platform shoes? Just leave the scope set up ready for when they chuck you out. :thumbsup:

Maybe try them out at a Butlins 70's BIG weekender  :)

Guest devil74

I am thinking of putting red lights in every room.

Or Do you think it will attract the wrong sort of attention? :-\

I'd say the right kind haha  :facepalm2:

• 5 weeks later...

I was out for two one hour sessions last night. I was shooting constellations and got very dark adapted and actually saw Pisces and Cetus properly for the first time.

Guest peepshow

I am reminded of the old weather prediction.
"Red sky at night, shepherds' delight.
Red sky in morning, shepherds' warning."

It now becomes..........
"Red glasses at night, astronomers' delight.
Red glasses in morning, astronomers' yawning."  :)