• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

[WIP] IC1396 (Ha complete) (Stephen/Sheila joint project)

Guest Kheldar

As promised (despite the naysayers last night in the shoutbox!) here's where the "project" that Sheila and I embarked upon at EMS currently stands :)

The target in question is a four panel mosaic of IC1396. Popular target I confess, but we're putting a lot of time into this one and going big with the final result. Sheila advises me this FOV is about six times the apparent size of the full moon :o

4 (panels) x 36 (exposures) x 300 (seconds) on Sheila's FSQ-106 with the 0.73x reducer and Astrodon 5nm Ha filer (SX H694)
4 (panels) x 36 (exposures) x 300 (seconds) on my FSQ-85 with the 0.73x reducer and Baader 7nm Ha filer (Atik 460ex)

In case you can't be bothered to work it out, that's 24 hours total exposure :frantic:
This is a WIP so whilst the joins are not perfect yet ... they will be :evil::bat:
Just 24 hours of Oiii and 24 hours of Sii to go :wallbash:

So ... onto the images! First up, the full thing Astrobin stylee - you won't get a sense of scale from this but it will show you the overall picture and plate solving if you click through on the image ...

e6232d1e-c096-4d6d-8570-b404b315be3f.jpg

Now Microsoft have this cool web site that allows you to create interactive images. Despite the name there's no zooming that actually goes on here, the initial view is greatly zoomed out but using the controls you can zoom in up to 100% (real size.)

http://zoom.it/R00u

And finally a 100% crop (in case zooming around didn't convey the scale) ...

3e8df9b3-6aa9-487d-8872-bdf05a017b8d.jpg

Enjoy :D

Edited by Kheldar

Well, what can one say! That is true dedication to the dark art, I mean how much cussin' would an image of that scale involve!  :D

Well you two have certainly pulled that out of the hat. :)

Absolutely stunning.

I just know the final image is going to be a heart stopper.

I hope you get plenty of clear skies soon so you can finish it.

Totes amaze work! Is that the "pillars of creation"?

The crop is on the elephants trunk nebula region Tobias.

Absolutely stellar effort guys-really awesome image. You guys must be absolutely stoked!

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

You know Ive only just figured out what WIP means Work In Progress..Ive seen this on a few posts lately and I thought it was some new fangled processing technique that you techy types had found. Derrrr :blink:  :blink:

That is beautiful and very big and detailed.

Is the bright star towards the top right the Garnet star?

Great project.

Totes amaze work! Is that the "pillars of creation"?

I think Felix covered this but not it's not - however it's the same "thing" as the pillars, dense star forming region (hence the illumination from behind.)

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

You know Ive only just figured out what WIP means Work In Progress..Ive seen this on a few posts lately and I thought it was some new fangled processing technique that you techy types had found. Derrrr :blink:  :blink:

Duh ;) However calling it a WIP may actually do it a little injustice ... it's a final image in it's own right ... just want to Hubble it is all :geek:

That is beautiful and very big and detailed.

Is the bright star towards the top right the Garnet star?

Great project.

Yup bang on

Simply amazing folks, you two must be over the moon with this.

Are you going to print it out and hang it on your walls.

apparently the size would be 5 foot x 5 foot dunno if i have a space on the wall big enough :)  but might try when we have the Oiii and Sii image put

together.  only need another 48 hours of images :o

apparently the size would be 5 foot x 5 foot dunno if i have a space on the wall big enough :)  but might try when we have the Oiii and Sii image put

together.  only need another 48 hours of images :o

I might have to revise that number based on the borders we lost ... :( A1 should be easily feasible though :o

I might have to revise that number based on the borders we lost ... :( A1 should be easily feasible though :o

do you mean A0, surely