• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ISS Passes - heads up

Brantuk

Hi All

Just a quick heads up if you get clear skies over the next few days. There will be several visible passes of the International Space Station. For further details see:

http://www.heavens-above.com

(Think I just missed an early one this evening - great big streak across the sky on Stellarium)

It's a teriffic sight on a clear night and there's no mistaking it if you've never seen it before - good luck :)

Guest wisewoman

Don't forget Iridium Flares too - they're nice to see for the first time especially if it's a bright one. There are a couple of iphone apps that can tell you when they will occur at your location or you can use the Heavensabove site to tell you. :)

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

• 6 months later...
Guest Justinshaw

Saw the space station for the first time at weekend, pretty chuffed wanted to spot it for a while.

What is an Iridium flare?

An Iridium flare is a specific type of satellite flare (also known as satellite glint) made when the antennas of an Iridium communication satellite reflect sunlight directly onto the surface of the Earth. Unless someone else knows different! This is what I was told

Sheila

Hi, this morning at about 00:20 I saw a satellite traveling NNE initially very bright reduce down to just visible over the course of about 20 seconds. Had a quick look at heavensabove but couldn't see anything in ISS or flares that fits that time.

I think that there are so many lumps floating around up there now, it's possible any of them with the solar panels tilted just right will "Flare" and then recede rapidly.

There are also things like the solar panels which were changed on Hubble, they just got chucked, although I think they may have burnt up on re-entry.

It's not uncommon to have one shoot through the view at the eyepiece, a bright one makes you jump when looking for something faint.

I love watching the ISS go overhead.

I've missed it the last couple months but had a great view of it Friday with clear skies.

I tell anyone with a fleeting interest to look out for it. Many have 'predicted' when it flies over to their kids who think it's like magic :)

The last 2 times up at Belper we have seen it very clear, followed it in the ep for what seemed like hours, I could make out the panels and the centre section,marvellous sight!

The last 2 times up at Belper we have seen it very clear, followed it in the ep for what seemed like hours, I could make out the panels and the centre section,marvellous sight!

I will have to try that Daz, sounds awesome

On Friday I managed a bit of time with the bins on ISS, not much detail, but could make out two lines of light as opposed to a white spot with naked eye. I do liketo see it whenever I can, I think I've seen it about 4 or 5 times in the past week alone :) awsome sight in my opinion.

I had a perseid shot across my field of view while looking at the 7 sisters through bins last weekend :)

You can track it for a few frames and some folks have got a few half decent shots of it - but generally it goes too fast for a mount to track it. Best bet is with a webcam or DMK or similar for a few seconds - it's shifting though :)