• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help needed with DSS Settings.

Perkil8r

I have had issues with DSLR's over the past few months as some of you may be aware. With that in mind I borrowed Sheila's 40d (modded) for Kelling. I have gathered some data, not loads though but I now have an issue. In the subs the stars are perfect, but when I stacked it through DSS the stars have gone all frog spawn on me :facepalm:

Because they are okay in the raw files I can only presume that a setting in DSS is to blame. I'm looking for the settings we all use, all of them, up to the Autosave stage, I don't do any processing in DSS so those settings aren't required. So come on, spill the beans. I did have them set up but have a feeling I may have altered something by mistake at some point.

I have checked all the subs, all are good, I've stacked with and without darks without any change to the stars. Any help appreciated :)

stack in maxim Mike ;)  you will at least see if there is a problem with data or not?

I dont have DSS here so i cant check what my settings are

stack in maxim Mike ;)  you will at least see if there is a problem with data or not?

I dont have DSS here so i cant check what my settings are

The data is clean as far as I can see :)

The manual save embeds some changes AFAIK but the Autosave is raw so to speak. Anyways, this is kind of off the point.... Once stacked my image has frog spawn instead of stars, I need help with the stacking settings :)

Is this what you are seeing?

It is actually in your raw subs, if you stretch them in DSS you can see it.

If you stretch them in Photoshop do you see it too? If not then it could be a bug in how DSS reads the raw files in.

Stack_zps710d70b7.jpg

If I load your single stacked tiff into DSS and stretch it then I see almost exactly what my stack looks like. No missing stars, just bad banding.

You are looking at the autosave tiff. When the image has stacked use the DSS RGB/K Levels, Luminance and Saturation controls to get an image looking like mine and then save that as a 16 bit/ch tiff, and make sure you tick the box that says to apply adjustments to the saved image.

Just run through all of the camera settings, nothing seems wrong there, the issue must lay within the DSS routine.

maybe I should try Maxim :facepalm:

did suggest that up there somewhere, although not so sure with DSLR....

ask the geeks :lol:

had a look around and a few are having the same problem.

Seems to be solved by upgrading your dss to handle the new type of raw files the canon produces.

Quote from one.

"If it is then maybe you need the v3.3.3 Beta for DSS to handle the CR2's properly..."

He down loaded it and it cured his problem