• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

completely flocked

Guest Wayne

Cazz and I have just completed flocking the 10" orion optics.

I removed everything from the tube... Then Cazz flocked it from top to bottom. I can honestly say that it was the best flock I have ever had LOL :-D

I just need to collimate it and hope that the nights get better.

I'm also thinking of having a custom made dew shield made of aluminum. It's just an idea. I've seen the price of metal ones. We have a few small sheet metal and steel fabrication companys in Burton. I might be able to blag a bargain. If you don't ask you don't know. I'll let you know what happens :-)

If you want me to pick you up a cheapo foam matt from Decathlon, Iam only up the road. These were £2.30 last time I was in there.

That goes for anyone else who wants one, give me a shout and I'll pick one up for you. A bit of sticky backed velcro and your'e good to go. 

Astrodamian and I flocked my 10 inches today too; I got covered in black fluff. I gave it a massive hoover out afterwards, and I've attempted to re-colimate it tonight. Just looking forward to trying it out next clear night :)

James

Astrodamian and I flocked my 10 inches today too; I got covered in black fluff. I gave it a massive hoover out afterwards, and I've attempted to re-colimate it tonight. Just looking forward to trying it out next clear night :) James
oh... I say, it's not just me playing with my dob then :-D did you have any air bubbles in yours?

I used the astrodamian patened can of Pledge method, so very few air bubbles, but the ones I did have I pricked with a craft knife and milked the contents out and it all went down again. Job's a gud un [until it all starts peeling off] :)

I used the astrodamian patened can of Pledge method, so very few air bubbles, but the ones I did have I pricked with a craft knife and milked the contents out and it all went down again. Job's a gud un [until it all starts peeling off] :)

Silicone spray would also work - as that's what's in polish ;-), I had thought about spraying a bit on the dob base to help make a smooth movement.

I got a couple of little bubbles in waynes, which I pricked. I was dead impressed as I did it in two big pieces without swearing or using water or spray.

Finally I've found my astro talent lol. :-$

Guest devil74

Hope we get some clear skies soon for you then Wayne/Cazz. Flocking does make a difference..to me it just changed the contrast a fair bit. At the time I flocked Saturn was the 'up' planet and it greatly increased the darkness between the planet and first ring..and of course the cassini.

That flocking on astromonkeys dob will peel off in a bout a month but i didnt want to tell him just yet...i'd rather wait for it to flop over the secondary :-)

I agree, you will definitely notice an improvement in contrast. I reckon once we have these stormy lows out the way we should be getting the first frosts.

Then you can give it a good sorting out! :)  

There's a flock fest going down at our gaff,

Cazz is gonna flock her 130 heritage.

She's flocked my 250mm. What's next :-\

She's gone flocking mad LOL:-)

I've got them on;-)...

There OK. But peeling them off is tricky =-O

Your'e doing it wrong. Adhesive goes on the outside...

My tube is at the painters at the mo.

When it comes back I'm gonna give it a right good flocking.