• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Can anyone identify this problem.

Graham

Ahh I see :) I need to have a hunt for somewhere that sells them. Whilst I don't have an obs I do keep my OTA in the garage now and do worry about damp.

If you lay your scope on the its side felix, you could leave a bag of the stuff inside with all the holes sealed to keep the inside dry, as long as you remember and don't pick it up and let the bag drop on the mirror....!

Jd

Hmmmm not sure I trust myself to do that! Maybe when I'm done sorting the house my next little task will be to build a case out of ply and then I can keep the scope in that and then place a bag in with it.

I bought 2 de-humidifiers from Coopers (BOGOF) , when full the front crystals turn blue. There is a 240v socket underneath and just plug it in until the crystals turn pink then return to obsy!

Plus I've painted the outside with 2 coats of shed paint!

I've heard dew bands are helpful ron, but didn't know painting the scope with shed paint was a recognised trick to keep the moisture out :)

Jd

Ha ha, might work but I doubt it somehow!!

Got a 8" dewband on the MN190 and a 3" on the finder/guider scope. both work well but I learned to keep the small cap on the back of the finder in place 

if I wasn't using it !!

Well! I was thinking about this thread when I went into Homebase this morning. There was a mini de-humidifer in the sale £29.99 reduced from £49.99 and guess what!! I had £30 on my Nectar card, so now it's plugged in in the obsy, small 9v thank you very much!!

Cheers

Ron

Where do you get bags of desiccant from Andy?

Caravan accessory shops, that's where I get mine, I have a 2.5kg bag of Kontrol Krystals (trade name) which I top up their condensation trap with. These are different from the silica gel as they are one shot, you cant dry them out but they are extremely effective. I sit the trap on the mount shelf and then put a garden furniture bag over the mount and tie off so the trap only has to dry the bag interior and thence the mount. I now have better cross ventilation as well with my revamped roof but if the roof has been open on a particularly dewy night it does get damp in there and takes time to dry off at this time of year therefore I bag the mount.