• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello to one and all

Guest Darrian

Guest Darrian

Hi Everyone

My Name is Darrian i'm 38 yrs old and live near Ripley.

I've always had the Astronomy bug but due work , time and of course money ive just never got round to it.

Thankfully that all changed at Christmas when my very understanding good lady purchased a Nexstar 102gt for Christmas.

Over the last few weeks since Christmas and every chance i got when there was good seeing i was out on the back garden with the telescope ( For saying it is only a 4" refractor the views were amazing )

Sadly the telescope has now given up the ghost after only 5 weeks with the motor in the goto mount deciding that it dosnt want to play anymore..

So for the time being i'm scopeless but i'll be back soon hopefully with something alittle better.

Saw that you had a meet the other week but unfortunately i couldn't get (Due to my line of work and the fact that i work horrible shifts and a silly shift pattern

Hopefully the next time one comes along ( I'll book the day off and come along to see you all )

Many Thanks

Darrian

Hi Darrian welcome to EMS. Shame about the motor, was it new, can you return it as it should have some sort of warrenty if it was new.

Guest Darrian

Hi to Daz and Doc

Yes Doc it can be returned and will be returned at the weekend, I'll take the money this time and go looking for something that will satisfy my needs !!! Just a shame i wont be able to get Claudi Shiffer for around £500 ....lol

Hi Darrian and welcome to EMS :)

The cops often stop by and watch us for a bit when they see a bunch of masked hooded folks milling around suspiciously in the dark in the middle of nowhere. So you can be our official meeter/greeter if they wonder down the field towards us and start asking questions lol.

Enjoy the forum :)

Hi Darrian, a warm welcome to EMS.

Sorry to hear about the scope problem, it must be very frustrating.

Are you still considering a refractor, or do you have your eye on something else?

Guest Darrian

Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me today. hopefully over the next few weeks or months i might get of to meet one one or two of you at a darksite soon .

Just to answer your question Baz... Im looking at getting a reflector of some sort. been looking at the 8" celestron 8se and the skywatcher 300....either a 10" or 12" dont really know yet . it would also have to good for some astrophotography which i fancy dipping my toes in the pond of

any comments or suggestions are welcome ...

There are a few of us with 8" and 12" reflectors, feel free to pop over to a dark site and have a look through them. You can get a feel for how much room they will take up, and most importantly, how they perform.