• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Sandiacre!

Guest Philmarriott

I'd prob go for something easy for the first outing. M45 The Pliades should be nice in those. Look East at about 45 degrees up and you should see the so called seven sisters. In Bino's you will soon see there are way more than 7 of them! Also Jupiter is a good target. Don't expect to see too much, it will appear as a small round disc, obviously not a star as it will be a disc as opposed to a pin point of light. Look out for the moons next to it.

Just give yourself plenty of time to allow your eyes to get adapted. It can take half an hour or longer to get fully adapted, so don't rush it, take your time. You will notice more and more stars popping into view

Guest Philmarriott

Wow! Thanks for the advice. Couldnt belive what was up there. Just looked like seven stars in a "pan" shape and it was unbeliveable to look at. Looking forward to seeing some more things. My garden is south facing so anymore tips would be greatly appreciated.

M13 globular cluster, M44 Beehive open cluster, Wild Duck cluster, Double cluster in Perseus, check pan handle in Umaj for double stars, Coathanger asterism under tail of Cygnus, Christmas Tree cluster, etc. That should get you going and has one or two "finding" challenges in it :)

Glad you managed to get out Philip. The sky wasn't great last night, there was a very thick atmosphere I noticed, but still a great start to things. How did you get on with the Bino's? Are they comfortable to use, the right weight etc?

Guest Philmarriott

Yes they were great thanks. Got to see alot more than I thought. They were comfortable but i pulled a muscle in my neck two days ago so staring into space was not the best idea but still enjoyed it :)

You need a sunbed to use them lol. And an outdoor sleeping bag to stay warm in winter (or an indoor one wrapped in a plastic bag). :)

(Why let a simple thing like neck strain ruin your hobby haha.)

• 3 weeks later...