• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

east coast as ?

cosmic dave

I was talking to a couple of people at work yesterday and got on to the subject of starting a local astronomical society (we are a very long way from any established society is these part) Anyway how would u go about getting the ball rolling any ideas ?

I know i posted east cost (darn blackberry buttons) i mean east coast as !!!! :wacko:

Edited by Doc

I suppose finding a meeting place is a start and a difficult one if you want to please everyone??

Just the same as we have done here.

1. Arrange a meeting place to discuss about the the group

2. Find dark sites

3. Fingers crossed it takes off.

It's hard work.

Yeah and the thing I'm thinking is I could get things sorted and set up but because stargazing live is not on the tv it would get very little interest ??? Shame tho we could do with a local society my nearest is 35 miles away in cleethorpes and lincoln as is about 40 miles !

I'm sure we could give you a board on the forum to use for the AS, to get information posted and such? (like SGL did for EMS)

If my memory is correct i beleive that Paul money (the same one that does reviews in The Sky At Night magazine) used to run, or was a member of the Boston Astronomers. I would assume that they were all local and i am sure that the interest is there. Paul Money has a local magazine called Night Scenes which is an astronomy magazine detailing objects and events of interest for astronomers, much like your monthly breakdown in other astronomy magazines.

Would it be worth trying to contact him as i would imagine that anyone buying the magazine would be interested.

What about finding a (free) venue locally to hold a meet of members and advertise (also free ), like an open evening. I do read a lot about "sidewalk astronomy" in the U.S.A. What is to stop us doing the same here?

I always observe from my back garden, so am hidden away but if i took my scope out to my front garden the neighbours might notice or passers by.

Probably silly thoughts but who knows?

Now where is the nearest pub to us all?? :D

Difficult to know where to start really but i think that we are agreed in the fact that we need to do something to accomodate our needs at a more local venue.

These are just my thoughts on the matter and i would be interested to hear what others think.

I understand that when i say "free" that this would be in an ideal world. I for one would be prepared to pay a fee for a suitable venue.

Edited by oldfruit

If we can get a larger membership that come from Lincolnshire I would be delighted, I think EMS need to support this financially helping towards a darksite in Lincolnshire, but of course this depends on you Dave as you are the person on the ground so to speak. We need members that would use this new site, at the moment Lincolnshire members are a little thin on the ground.

If we can get a larger membership that come from Lincolnshire I would be delighted, I think EMS need to support this financially helping towards a darksite in Lincolnshire, but of course this depends on you Dave as you are the person on the ground so to speak. We need members that would use this new site, at the moment Lincolnshire members are a little thin on the ground.

I had noticed we were a little thin on the ground. :)

Also I had noticed on SGL that one or two members actually preferred to observe alone, so would not really appreciate the social element that goes hand in hand with the hobby. I do not think that it is just down to Dave, i think that anyone in our area needs to help drum up support and membership for any future society or potential dark site. Sure Dave would by the sounds of things (and his show of enthusiasm on the subject :D ) be at the head of any arrangements or society that might be set up but surely all potential members would like some involvment. Again this is all in the making and much needs to be talked about but i for one am looking forward to the potential of what could be acheived, especially seeing what some of you guys have done at Belper and Sawley.

If folks get their rough location added to the member map, it would make it easier to see where there are concentrations of members. :)

I put myself on the map when i first joined. Made me realise just how sparse we are over this side of the U.K. ;)

Ron sorry wrong use of words, Yes it's up to everyone even myself for starting EMS up, but as you say Dave has the enthusiasm to make this work and he along with yourself have your ear to the ground and can make this work, and I'll give you as much support my end as I can.

We need more Lincolnshire members thats the grunt of it all.

How about an advert in local newspapers recruiting members. Meet in a pub first of all and then search for a dark site.

That's what I'm thinking mick, do you get the east coast target in boston oldfruit ? Skeg would be the ideal meeting area I supose, its about 15 miles south of me and north of boston. I don't think we would be stepping on any other active societys toes then.

Soon as you have a pub meeting with a ten or a dozen keen folks who will turn up regularly for observing sessions it will start to take off. I can't believe how EMS started - slow at first with between 3-8 folks turning up at every session keeping the ball rolling. After the first year we'd had regular meetings, one or two socials, and organised group bookings of two star partys under our belt.

Thanks to SGL we were able to meet online as well, so everyone could easily stay in touch and keep an eye out for session announcements. I think these are the three essential things to get it going: 1. crucial first meeting, 2. organise a dark site as central as possible, and 3. regular contact via t'internet.

This is definitely the place to stay in touch and we can organise an East Coast section for you if it would help. Advertising is a good idea - specially if you can get something in Paul Moneys publication and/or local rags. And getting everyone looking for a dark site would be the first objective - something within a one hour drive of all members. :)

What about a meeting point at Gibralter Point nature centre? It's open as they use it for full time teaching, has a cafe

and a large car park/obsy site?? And it's dark!

I note the North Lincs folk meet at Far Ings nature reserve?

Edited by Ron Clarke

I was thinking gib point Ron. This is something I will be looking into shortly..

Ok so this is what I'm thinking, get a meeting point set up (as a one off) advertise what we are trying to achieve on local bbc radio and as now and s at n also the forums. And let's see what happens ?? At least that way we can find out the interest levels locally. I can cover mablethorpe to skeg so just need someone to cover the boston side of things. Stick a few posters up and try and spread the word ? Any other thoughts would be great. East Lincs AS ?

Cheers ron I haddnt TBH I've had a quick look now, its seems to be 6 years old that page ??? Interesting tho, hope its not a bad omen lol.

I have just looked at this website and cannot see or open the pictures, though it is encouraging to see others wanting to acheive the same goal

Will do after we have had our meet. I wanted to get the basic idea established before we do anything else.