• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Free 12 week online astronomy course

dawson

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Sheila

• Brantuk

• Daz Type-R

This looks excellent for free.

3 hours a week plus quizzes etc. Seems to have some excellent content. You'd pay a lot of money for a course like that elsewhere.

Good find :)

I saw it said 6 - 12 hours per week....... I might give it a go, it's not the end of the world if I can't complete it I guess. If this had come up a year ago I would have been on it straight away but now I have so many things going on it's crazy. GREAT find though!

You are correct Mike, I read 3 hours of video per week, but didn't word it that way in my post.

So it is quite a substantial course over 12 weeks :)

It says 6-12 hours of work per week; i waste more time than that watching x-factor and reading in bed, so it's just a case of being more disciplined for me.

They say it's free, but i think they like you to sign up and pay for the $15 software. But it looks reasonable so i'll give it a go.

Something else to get on with in cloudy nights.

James

Indeed a good find, I'm gonna have a go to.

As our Internet is browing only - but it is very very very cheap (£22 a year!!!), I'll have to borrow some from my friends and family to watch the vids mentioned. :-)

Yeah, the algebra does look intimidating, but I managed two degrees and managed the algebra in those, so I'll give it a go. There are plenty of geeks on here if I get stuck.

If various people off EMS join up, we could have a 'study group'; aka make sure someone good at maths is in the study group to teach all the others :)

JD

i looked at the maths bit, fell off my chair and ran away :frantic::frantic::ladyshock:

And me lol, but I'm sure I'll get something from it.

Plus I'll need something for the grey matter to do whilst I'm recovering from my op on the 23rd :-/

If various people off EMS join up, we could have a 'study group'; aka make sure someone good at maths is in the study group to teach all the others :)

JD

A jolly good idea, thumbs up, :-)

"i looked at the maths bit, fell off my chair and ran away"

Tut! That's an allergic reaction - the maths described there was no more than you do in your head when out shopping for shoes and handbags - just think of those values as representing bigger shoes and more massive handbags and it'll be easy lol. :lol:

Yipee, we've got someone clever on board :)

well if Stephen is in, then we can pass the maths to him to do :), the rest should be a walk in the park.

As long as i get maths help i am in too :):wacko:

well i am signed up we just need to make sure Stephen does now or we are all dead in the water :ladyshock:

Sheila

If like to but a) I am terrible at maths that is beyond GCSE and B) it looks quite time consuming and I do not like to commit to things I know I am unlikely to be able to achieve. So (a+B) = x

X = I'm out :D

If like to but a) I am terrible at maths that is beyond GCSE and B) it looks quite time consuming and I do not like to commit to things I know I am unlikely to be able to achieve. So (a+ B) = x

you are probably better at maths than i am, i am a complete dunce :wacko:

Would love to have a go at this but CAN NOT commit 6-12 hrs a week. :(

How does this all work, is some real proper chap marking our work?

As a group would we all need to do each level and wait for the last person?

Currently at work so not had time to read all the small print.

I think the course moves on whether everyone in the group has "finished" the last section or not. The group idea was more to keep it fun and to use the group to encourage everyone to do the home work, or even people could watch the videos and do the assignment together.

It looks like there are up to 3 hours of videos to watch a week (i suspect these equate to the lectures), and then there is additional reading to do and assignment, which may be like MCQs so they can be marked easily by a computer.

Jd

Funnily enough I received your text with this during maths today, maybe if I had seen the maths in it 2 months ago I might have not been interested, but now it looks like a walk in the park compared to the rubbish we are forced (against our will) to do :(:P

I have far too much work to do at the moment to start this I feel... 

If like to but a) I am terrible at maths that is beyond GCSE and B) it looks quite time consuming and I do not like to commit to things I know I am unlikely to be able to achieve. So (a+ B) = x

Maths GCSEs have obviously got harder over the years then! :lol::P

Come on Tibblitz, you'd find the hard bits easy and the interesting bits interesting, and having this certificate might help your uni application, plus you could help me and sheila :)

Pretty please!

Jd