• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Free 12 week online astronomy course

dawson

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dawson

• Sheila

• Brantuk

• Daz Type-R

Step 1 - Multiply both sides by r squared

Step 2 - Multiple both sides by D cubed

Step 3 - Divide both sides by G

Step 4 - Divide both sides by m

Step 5 - Cube root both sides

Step 6 - r cubed cancels with the cube root to take r outside the brackets

I think ... I've been coding 15 hours straight now ...

:ladyshock:    oh dear :facepalm:  what have i let myself in for

Yup - that's how I did it - simple stuff really - just loads of 0's making it look harder than it is. lol :)

That's what I thought. :wacko::huh:

I got my name right on the registration ;)

Guest Kheldar

So what's the numerical value for D?

It was hypothetical - the question says if you are given values for M, m and r can you work out what D is

Yup - it doesn't give the values - so I was left with an equation expressing D algebraically. If you can fill in the gaps I'll finish it off using windows calculator lol. :lol:

Nope, still don't get it, I'm obviously thick as horse muck.

Think I will pass.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest Kheldar

Nope, still don't get it, I'm obviously thick as horse muck.

Think I will pass.

Bonus point question

If the units of

M are kg ^ 4

m are kg

r are m

What are the units of D?

As they said at school, show your workings out please.

Errmmm the workings are already shown Daz - I just substituted the values given by Stephen to get the answer :)

Hmmm, that just confirms it, I'm thick (or just really don't get algebra), you lot have fun, I will stick to coding on a mainframe / Unix / Windows boxes.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Hmmm, that just confirms it, I'm thick (or just really done get algebra), you lot have fun, I will stick to coding on a mainframe / Unix / Windows boxes.

i am confused by that too, but i dont let that bother me, just take it as a challenge.... even if i cant do it in the end i will give it my best shot.

Maths was my weakest subject, we all have different skills, i loved Chemistry and found it easy, lots of others did not.  We can each help

the others.  Thats why folks are great, we can all do different stuff.  Just have to persevere longer on the stuff we find hard. :D

I was wrong anyway - just checked and I misread the equation - the real answer is : 2.2524957608872122339172013540225

You had a chance to trip me up and blew it lol :lol:

Blah, sod it, signed up, I'll try do it, I was in the high maths groups at GCSE but didn't do much at A level as I left for a job, so I'll see how it goes :D

i am confused by that too, but i dont let that bother me, just take it as a challenge.... even if i cant do it in the end i will give it my best shot.

Maths was my weakest subject, we all have different skills, i loved Chemistry and found it easy, lots of others did not.  We can each help

the others.  Thats why folks are great, we can all do different stuff.  Just have to persevere longer on the stuff we find hard. :D

Absolutely - I'm gonna need help with Chemistry - never did twig the way to work out swapping electrons and protons to turn base metals into pure gold lol

Absolutely - I'm gonna need help with Chemistry - never did twig the way to work out swapping electrons and protons to turn base metals into pure gold lol

pure alchemy Kim pure alchemy :lol:  ;)

I must admit it bothers me, I just can't get my head round it and winds me up.

I understand you have to balance the equations, but I struggle to comprehend what I need to move where, under what circumstance a minus becomes a plus, a divide becomes a multiplication, the simple stuff in Stephens example was fine, I got that, but the example given on the web page.......

:wacko:

pure alchemy Kim pure alchemy :lol:   ;)

Hahaha! - well we can trade maths equations for chemical equivalences till I can make enough gold to get a bigger Tak than yours rofl :)

I must admit it bothers me, I just can't get my head round it and winds me up.

I understand you have to balance the equations, but I struggle to comprehend what I need to move where, under what circumstance a minus becomes a plus, a divide becomes a multiplication, the simple stuff in Stephens example was fine, I got that, but the example given on the web page.......

:wacko:

i also have the same problems as that Daz, but its about time i stopped avoiding it and have another crack at this sort of stuff....  old dog new tricks and all that...

must prove that adage wrong at some point :D