• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

long exposure without guiding

Guest sharpie78

Guest Kheldar

So it can't distinguish periodic error from any error in the PA?

James

Not reliably no, the encoder driven mounts (bear in mind they are in the minority) might stand more of a chance though as they know when they've moved off track ...

What is PEC training? It's you moving the mount to correct for movement in the image - how's the mount supposed to know if that's PE or atmospherics? :)

That's the bit i didn't know. I wasn't sure if me making adjustments on the handset as it were tracking a star with a reticle eye piece could be looked at over two or three cycles and it know that some of my corrections overlapped at a certain position of the gearing system, and as such it thinks they are probably periodic errors, rather than the other random times i am pressing buttons to correct for a gust of wind (i knew beans for tea were a bad idea) or for my poor polar alignment.

My encoders are turned off most of the time lol!

Jd

Guest Kheldar

That's the bit i didn't know. I wasn't sure if me making adjustments on the handset as it were tracking a star with a reticle eye piece could be looked at over two or three cycles and it know that some of my corrections overlapped at a certain position of the gearing system, and as such it thinks they are probably periodic errors, rather than the other random times i am pressing buttons to correct for a gust of wind (i knew beans for tea were a bad idea) or for my poor polar alignment.

My encoders are turned off most of the time lol!

Jd

If I had a permanant setup I would PEC in a heartbeat, as I don't I won't it will guide out :)

The encoders will be left on on the 8 as that in itself is a form of PEC

Guest sharpie78

PEC sounds like a hit and miss affair if the mount isn't permanently mounted on a pier.....

Am I right in thinking that if it were pier mounted and was connected via EQ DIR, PA would be done using the PA tool in EQ ASCOM thus making the PA home position the same every time and the PA alignment more accurate ? 

Forgive me if that's an obvious question.....I only got my mount running EQ Mod at the weekend and am still learning the in's and out's of the ASCOM software.

Guest sharpie78

possibly another dumb question but what do you all mean by encoders ? I kn ow what encoding is generally but not when it relates to a EQ mount.

Guest Kheldar

PEC sounds like a hit and miss affair if the mount isn't permanently mounted on a pier.....

Am I right in thinking that if it were pier mounted and was connected via EQ DIR, PA would be done using the PA tool in EQ ASCOM thus making the PA home position the same every time and the PA alignment more accurate ? 

Forgive me if that's an obvious question.....I only got my mount running EQ Mod at the weekend and am still learning the in's and out's of the ASCOM software.

PA can be done in the field with the EQ tools no problem :)

If it were permanently mounted you should use drift alignment - once PA is set, it's set :)

possibly another dumb question but what do you all mean by encoders ? I kn ow what encoding is generally but not when it relates to a EQ mount.

Encoders digitally monitor the position of the axis - so if you tell it to go to a specific RA/DEC then the mount knows if for some reason it's fallen short ...

Guest sharpie78

PEC......Drift alignment......encoders.....autoguiding.......what have gotten myself into ???  :facepalm:

time to do some reading up me thinks. good job I'm a geek  :lol:

PEC......Drift alignment......encoders.....autoguiding.......what have gotten myself into ???  :facepalm:

time to do some reading up me thinks. good job I'm a geek  :lol:

you are lucky, i am no geek and still have to cope :wacko:

do you ever feel how I am now Sheila ? overloaded with info and "techie stuff" ? lol

i have felt that for the past 12 months.... since i started astro really :wacko:  it never ends :o

Guest sharpie78

Hi Jack, I did my first guided subs last week and although I had a few teething troubles it worked really well and I wondered why I had not started it sooner!!

I have been doing unguided images for about a year and found 120 secs was the best I could get without getting star trails, last week I started on 5 min +.

I am using a QHY5 mono and a 9x50 finderscope with an adaptor from 'Modern Astronomy' on a HEQ5 goto mount.

Cheers

Ron

would be good to hear how another newbie to guiding found their first guiding session Ron. pitfalls.....successes etc..... ?

nice to now I aint on my own  :)

i only survive cos of the folks on here.... there is always someone who knows or who can help.  only daft question is the one you dont ask :D

Guest sharpie78

i only survive cos of the folks on here.... there is always someone who knows or who can help.  only daft question is the one you dont ask :D

to follow on from that.......daft question number 9917367389........does an HEQ5 have encoders built into it or are they an add-on ?

I think the only Skywatcher mounts to have encoders fitted in the factory are the AZEQ6 and the new EQ8.

---------

Does PA stay highly accurate on a pier even if you change telescopes? I find with my tripod setup, that the PA can change very easily from day to day even though I've left my tripod and mount in exactly the same position in the garden, but just brought my scope in doors.

James

Guest Kheldar

I think the only Skywatcher mounts to have encoders fitted in the factory are the AZEQ6 and the new EQ8.

Correct

Edited by Kheldar