• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS needs you! SGL2014

Perkil8r

I'm formulating a plan now for a range of sizes of each scope and bino's. Small through to as big as we can get between us, that way folks can see a good range. What we are thin on the ground on at the minute is small refractors -------- looking in Wayne's direction ;)

I can bring my telementor its 63/840 f13

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• RonC

• T A WOW

• Brantuk

Guest fondofchips

Count us both in, will help where it's wanted.  Scope won't change from the one below if it's needed.

Cheers,

Harry & Wally.

May be able to bring the kit (as below), but will probably need to leave any explaining to others... Just need to check as that's youngest sons birthday.

Do we need to consider that, if it is clear, it's only two days past full moon?

I just checked, the moon rises very roughly at 20:30, so hopefully leaves some sky free for a while, though it will compete with Jupiter.

I'm formulating a plan now for a range of sizes of each scope and bino's. Small through to as big as we can get between us, that way folks can see a good range. What we are thin on the ground on at the minute is small refractors -------- looking in Wayne's direction ;)

Wayne says yes, we can bring the long tube 80mm and the 60mm classic, he's yet to get the 80mm short tube - but he has written to santa ;-)

I can bring my telementor its 63/840 f13

Thanks for the offer, however, would it be possible for you to bring the 130p on eq2 please? That way we can gather a range of mounts too. Somebody is bringing a 130 herritage so they could see the similar scope mounted different ways.

Count us both in, will help where it's wanted.  Scope won't change from the one below if it's needed.

Cheers,

Harry & Wally.

Splendid, yes please to both the scope and the extra bodies. If we end up with a fair number of people we will no doubt be busy talking and directing folks about.

May be able to bring the kit (as below), but will probably need to leave any explaining to others... Just need to check as that's youngest sons birthday.

No stress Alan, family must come first :)

I just checked, the moon rises very roughly at 20:30, so hopefully leaves some sky free for a while, though it will compete with Jupiter.

It's a shame it's not a bit earlier as the moon is a very handy target for newcomers.

Wayne says yes, we can bring the long tube 80mm and the 60mm classic, he's yet to get the 80mm short tube - but he has written to santa ;-)

Awesome, that's you sorted then :) Does Wayne fancy bringing the st150 for a bit of observing?

Please bare with me, there are a lot of "TBC's" on the list, this is because until I know what kit we have between us I will be waiting to see what will be best placed where. Obviously the observing is weather dependent but even if cloudy we ought maybe to have some more scopes set up in the Cricket Pavilion. If it is cloudy it really will be a case of suck it and see.

One thing we do need to be careful of is parking. I have yet to agree a time with the council and scouts for access to set up, but we will need to unload and then most likely move our vehicles further away down the bottom end to allow visitors to park. Again, this will be a bit suck it and see. I have no idea how many people to expect. Wymeswold is a very community spirited village so we may well get a very good turn out of locals, particularly if we can get it announced in the schools etc. Then of course there is the surrounding areas too, it could be busy, or it could be empty. If nothing else there will be plenty of us to chat and admire eachothers kit :D

Awesome, that's you sorted then :) Does Wayne fancy bringing the st150 for a bit of observing?

No probs, assuming he can get there if I'm not able to drive by then, hopefully I'll be able to, but it's not guaranteed. :-/

No probs mike I'll bring my 130 on eq2 the telementor pretty much lives in the boot anyway ;-)

Are you having a classics section?, I can drag the old Prinz out its coffin.

Edited by tuckstar

Not sure how I got that wrong but the moon rises at 19:19 on 18/01/2014 (I must have skipped a day... :facepalm: ) . By 21:00 it'll be just approaching 15 degrees, so might not be be too bad?

I'm formulating a plan now for a range of sizes of each scope and bino's. Small through to as big as we can get between us, that way folks can see a good range. What we are thin on the ground on at the minute is small refractors -------- looking in Wayne's direcion :-)

Mike, i shall be bringing the flt98 to use with the mintron, thats small

Mike, i shall be bringing the flt98 to use with the mintron, thats small

Good stuff, although that will be outside, so won't be "on view" so to speak. I think we've pretty much covered small fracs now :)

What I do want though is, does anybody remember the name of the guy with the big 24" dob? That would be a real good showpiece to have in the Scout hut. I don't think it'd be such a great idea outside due to kids + ladders = :facepalm:

Mike, seem like there might be a few of us there on the night, any thoughts about name badges? I'm hopeless at doing things like that but maybe a template the we could all print off. Just an idea.

Hopefully I'll have all the mods completed by then and the Lightbridge will be out in the field for supervised look throughs.

Got the gear and juice for the dew control now and a quieter fan so all it needs is installing - which is now underway. :)

kim

if you need any A3 posters (colour) i can do then at work if you send me the file and let you have then at the weekend

What I do want though is, does anybody remember the name of the guy with the big 24" dob?

Was it Stratfordjames or something like that

He hasn't been on since July. We could e-mail him. But that will have to be someone with a working e-mail mind you. Mine has gremlins, otherwise known as Windows Hate.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to redact my 300p. Turns out I'm needed for dog caring over January. :(

No worries :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CodnorPaul

Oh balls - just realised I have to go to work that weekend.  I work about 2 weekends a year normally and typically that is one of them :(

Sorry Mike - I was looking forward to it as well