• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from newbie

Guest Woodlander

Guest Woodlander

Hi all

Completely new to this. No equipment except google sky map & and inquisitive mind. Maybe it's midlife crisis; maybe it will become a family hobby. Have started delving into the minefield of options that are open to a beginner. Hoping I can probe the expert minds on here in due course.

Paul

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Any questions at all just pop a thread in the Help section and we'll do our best to answer for you - we have some very experienced folks amongst our members. Main thing is to not be in a rush - took me 3 months of researching, learning and questions before I got my first scope - even then I wasn't 100% sure lol - enjoy the forum :)

Welcome to EMS, just to ditto the above, take your time, ask plenty of questions and pop along to some of our meets for a "try before you buy", most people are more than happy to share.

First and foremost, ask as many questions as you can, want or need to.

If able, get down to a meeting (when the weather is nice!) and you can have a look through some of the scopes in use. It helps a lot with making the right decision. :)

Hi Paul, a warm welcome to EMS.

As mentioned above, next time there's a session planned if you can, pop down and see what might suit your budget, storage space, and what type of objects you prefer looking for.

Maybe get some binoculars to get you familiar with the sky, and these are always handy when you get a scope.