• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M45

fwm891

Captured last night, image made up of 10 x 10 min subs at 800 iso using an unmodified Nikon DSLR on my Altair Astro 115 EDT-APO
Processed in PI an PS

M45-10x10minDSLRiso800_zps72502cb6.png

I'll echo James' comment. Looking forward to getting started with guiding myself to achieve that sort of result.

Many thanks All for the comments

One object that an unmodified DSLR is really suited to.

Guest sharpie78

Sorry to jump in on your thread but didn't seem much point starting a new thread for the same object. Very Impressive picture  :). I hope to match that over the next year or so.......

My first attempt hasn't got as much nebulosity as yours but I'm pleased with it considering it was the first time I'd autoguided and done a sub over 3 minutes.

6 x 5 minutes subs @ ISO 1600  - Unmodified Canon EOS 450D on Skywatcher 130PM Newt.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz259/sharpie1178/DSLR/982c680f-e2ea-4799-b357-30b405a09c26_zps3fd79824.jpg

Any tips on post processing etc all very welcome. I suspect mine is over processed........How did you bring out the nebulosity ? Is that an exposure thing or post processing thing ?

Clear Skies :-)

It's a bit of both Jack, 5 min subs will start to get the nebulosity and then PS used to 'tease' them out, not an easy subject (I've tried!!)  :)

Thanks for the comment All.

Jack - watch when your processing, you have a really 'black' backgound which normally means you have clipped the black end of the histogram. Doing that will loose all your highlight detail making it imposable to see any of the dusty stuff.

Take your background to a darkish grey - there should still be detail in there and process the rest of the image to it. Likewise with the stars try not to let them burn out - the brightest stars will and need careful masking to save them so don't worry too much at this stage - just try and retain some colour in the mid range stars

Edited by fwm891

That's awesome.

You must have pretty dark skies to get exposures of 10 mins. If I tried that from my back garden my subs would look like flats.  :lol:

Good stuff!

Paul

Thanks for the comment All.

Jack - watch when your processing, you have a really 'black' backgound which normally means you have clipped the black end of the histogram. Doing that will loose all your highlight detail making it imposable to see any of the dusty stuff.

Take your background to a darkish grey - there should still be detail in there and process the rest of the image to it. Likewise with the stars try not to let them burn out - the brightest stars will and need careful masking to save them so don't worry too much at this stage - just try and retain some colour in the mid range stars

Fabulous M45 Francis and thanks for helping Jack - one of our newest members - sound advice. :)

(It's helping me too lol)

Fabulous M45 Francis and thanks for helping Jack - one of our newest members - sound advice. :)

(It's helping me too lol)

Hi Kim, That's what the forums are for to help and share. This one is one of the better ones at least you feel part of it rather than another N°#### in their arsenal...

Absolutely - we're all in it together here - and not in the way the pm described the recession the banks left us in lol. :lol:

Guest sharpie78

Thanks for your tips. I've been playing and have uploaded to photobucket. If anybody would like to comment.......any other tips greatly appreciated.  :)