• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Yet another new member

Guest barehairbear

Guest barehairbear

I know a little bit less than nothing.  Always fancied stargazing, but at this stage interested in looking at the moon and planets in our solar system - yes, I know, pretty limited in ambition.  Got a great skylight in the loft, and the local council turn all street lights off at midnight, so I thought - why not give it a go.  Thought about buying a Sky Watcher 130, but need a bit of advice.  The first question is : - Am I mad or not?

Welcome John. We're not mad, it's only the seagulls that fly backwards while I sleep that make me worry.

Hi John and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Good to see another Leicester member. The 130P is a smashing starter scope (the "P" stands for parabolic) - it's enough to wet your appetite for the hobby without blowing £daft - and it will show you all the brighter objects and help you gain a knowledge of astronomy and the night sky.

If you have any questions feel free to start a thread in the beginner section. You'd be welcome to join us for a session when we all meet up for group observing - your nearest "dark site" is Wymeswold. Keep an eye on the "EMS Meets" board in the "Info and Announcements" section for the next meeting. Enjoy the forum :)

Hi John, a warm welcome to EMS.

It 's not madness, it's an obsession.......OK, we are all a bit different, but safe.

I reckon you will fit right in. Pull up a chair and enjoy the forum. :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi John,

Warm welcome to EMS. Good advice above, also try copies of 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' these will help guide you round the sky. Also download a planeterium prog, lots out there but try Stellarium its great and free, to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/

Welcome to the asylum! :D

Hello and welcome.

James

(I'm the only sane one here!)

Cough - rubbish - cough.

Watch out for old monkey boy Dawson, he's a sly one, pretty harmless but don't let him have to many sherbets!

Any way, welcome to EMS, like Kim said above, the 130P is ok for a starter scope, it will show you the brighter planets and DSO's, but you may find yourself upgrading sooner than you think, bigger size, clearer / more to see!

Best advice I can give, is keep an eye on the meets section, when a meet is arranged, mainly Friday / Saturday nights, pop along and have a first hand look at some of our kit, a sort of try before you buy!

That way you will see for your self the difference in scopes, sizes, price etc.

Don't rush into a purchase, the universe isn't going any where.

Guest barehairbear

Wow - what a welcome guys & gals.  I'll come along to the next dark sky meeting and bring the holder of the purse strings along too !!