• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NGC 2264 04.12.2013

catman161

Quite a seasonal one this one :)

When I was done capturing avis of Jupiter (all of which didn't amount to much unfortunately) I spent some time at the eyepiece using the good old deep sky tour function on the NEQ6 handset- I do like that function if you haven't prepared a list for the evening.

Anyway,  had a look at a few objects then next in the list was "The Christmas Tree Cluster". I do like this one and it looked okay in the TV Ethos 13mm despite the terrible conditions that night so much so in fact that I reached for my pad and pencils. I like this open cluster, comparatively at my new house I could see a lot more stars in it than I remember seeing when I was in inner city Leicester.

Viewed with a 200P mounted on an NEQ6 Pro through a Televue Ethos 13mm eyepiece and sketched under red light with HB 2 and 2H pencils. Also utilised (quite a lot!) was the aptley named Staedtler "Mars Plastic" eraser :) I used photosphop CS2 to invert the sketch, other than that the drawing is "as is".

Enjoy.

11267971584_2226905a33_o.jpg
NGC2264 Sketch by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Nice one Felix :)

But you gotta get the pencil polar aligned - there's a bit of lead trailing in those stars hahaha! :lol:

nice sketch 

but I have to agree with Graham

Man you guys are right scrooges ;)

Nice Felix.

Is it known as the  Conifer Tree Cluster for the rest of the year? :lol:

It will be from now on Martyn :)