• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ems3 (put this in your diary)

cosmic dave

Just a quick heads up guy's, ems3 starparty will be on the weekend of 24/10/14 @ Manor Farm nr Anderby Lincolnshire. We are hard at work making this our biggest starparty yet!

More information shortly.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Doc

• Brantuk

• red dwalf

Yeap, being later in the year it will be quieter and darker. We've discussed other possibilities but feel manor farm is the best option.

As it was held earlier this year there were more (holiday makers) on site, as opposed to the year before when it was held in October and i seem to remember it being a lot quieter.

Yeap, being later in the year it will be quieter and darker. We've discussed other possibilities but feel manor farm is the best option.

sorry i thought those caravans were ones that had booked to park there all year?  are they going to move them?

put me down for a pitch too please Dave,

had a great time last year even with the problems i had with my equipment L.O.L. 

put me down for a pitch too please Dave,

had a great time last year even with the problems i had with my equipment L.O.L.

Will do :D

sorry i thought those caravans were ones that had booked to park there all year? are they going to move them?

That's a good question Sheila, in fact there are only 3 permanent pitches on the starparty field at the moment, the site owner had agreed not to put anyone else on the top field (not that many tourers are about that time of year) and is asking the permanent pitch owners not to use outside lights if they use their caravans that weekend.

As the last two years the site lights will be turned off so it should be pretty :D

It's a big field Sheila, you have always pitched at the entrance of the field, so logically it's going to be busier and have the occasional lighting problem, maybe hunt around a bit and find a darker corner, then you could shield yourself with your van for cover, just ideas really.

Guest Kheldar

That's a good question Sheila, in fact there are only 3 permanent pitches on the starparty field at the moment, the site owner had agreed not to put anyone else on the top field (not that many tourers are about that time of year) and is asking the permanent pitch owners not to use outside lights if they use their caravans that weekend.

As the last two years the site lights will be turned off so it should be pretty :D

I have a question regarding hookups, are they plans to put any more in? There was barely (in fact possibly not enough) this year, let alone if we have a "bigger" star party next year?

I also have a question regarding the permanent pitches, do I take what you have said to mean there will only be three there when we poll up - hence more pitches available at the entrance side of the field where the hooks are (primarily?)

It's a big field Sheila, you have always pitched at the entrance of the field, so logically it's going to be busier and have the occasional lighting problem, maybe hunt around a bit and find a darker corner, then you could shield yourself with your van for cover, just ideas really.

Sheila's pitch wasn't a problem, it was the poor souls like Tobias who turned up late to no hookup, being sent half way around the field and next to a permanent resident who didn't want to turn their lights off I think she is thinking about :)

There are at least 12 hookups on the other side of the pond so in theory there should be enough to go round. So maybe we need to spread out a bit and circumnavigate the entire field so no one gets left alone.

At the end of the day it all depends on how many turn up, remember it's October.

Not a lot we can do about the seasonal pitch campers Stephen - unless we can persuade the site owners to ask them to move temporarily - which some did. We have raised the question of extra hookups - but nothing firmed up on that yet - and it is a big ask without material commitment to use the site more often.

Dave did a great job securing this site as a regular venue for our star parties - and the owners do their best to accommodate us - but it'll never be perfect unless we can find an alternative like Kelling who close the whole touring site to the public for star party week.

But then their owner is an astronomer - ours is a farmer lol :)

We have limited clout, we only use it one weekend a year so of course Tina is going to be looking after her regulars more then us. 

Manor Farm and it's surrounding breakfast cafe and bars serve us well and I think it's going to be hard to beat that. 

one of those big breakfast from that cafe down the road and you don`t need much else to eat all day, bargain prices aswell

one of those big breakfast from that cafe down the road and you don`t need much else to eat all day, bargain prices aswell

It wasn't bad was it Rob and pretty cheap as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.