• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ems3 (put this in your diary)

cosmic dave

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Doc

• Brantuk

• red dwalf

We can have a rocket competition and a breakfast competition - first prize goes to the one who can clear the biggest, greasiest, breakfast in half an hour lol. :)

I was fine with book up thankyou. It was the folks who arrived later that

Struggled for them.

Do we book with the site or not this year. I am just checking date to see

If I can make it

Hopefully it should be better being in October :)  I just hope I get a pitch that isn't the other side of the lake this time :lol:

Pitch with lecky please Dave :)

Hopefully it should be better being in October :) I just hope I get a pitch that isn't the other side of the lake this time :lol:

Pitch with lecky please Dave :)

Its booking directly tobias, it was very dark at ems1 and that was in October.

Guest Tweedledum

Nice work Dave.

Maybe I'll be able to make this one.

Thanks for all your effort.

Edited by Tweedledum

Nice work Dave.

Maybe I'll be able to make this one.

Thanks for all your effort.

No worries, it'll be good to see you there.

I am soooo there, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday with electric hook up for me, Mick and Rob, you need a wing?

I am soooo there, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday with electric hook up for me, Mick and Rob, you need a wing?

If you don't mind Daz I would love one.

I'm with Stephen and Sheila on the issues we had this time round, there was definately issues with pitch allocation, admittedly a caravan got moved(when the owner turned up wanting to stay for the weekend), but EMS1 was much better in terms of space.

I seem to recall we had booked the whole field for EMS2? But it wasn't the case and there were rampant puppies running around a lot of the time.

Either way I will probably go anyway as I don't need a hook up so it's not a big issue, and thanks for organising it Dave :)

What's the alternative then Eddy? - Dave has devoted a lot of time and effort to secure this site, and build a good relationship with the owner, and he's done a fabulous job - despite the small niggles - anywhere else would have had many more issues.

The thing we are all forgetting is that we are spoilt at places like Kelling, SGL, Keilder, PSP, etc.... where the whole site is reserved for astronomers only. Trying to get a seaside campsite to do that is almost impossible because their living depends on more than just us once a year, and they do have other visitors to think of (holidaymakers, seasonal pitches, fishermen, tourers, etc). As it is, they do a very good job of accommodating EMS Star Parties on their site.

We could use Badger Farm - but that has much more limited facilities, less hookups, and next to no scope for expansion as our event grows. Factor in whether the media would be interested in our event if it were restricted, and the public excluded, could we attract quality speakers, trade stands (a new one we're working on), where would a rocket competition go? etc... there's really a lot to consider.

In the true spirit of EMS I think we should all recognise things can't be perfect until we are very much bigger and carry more clout, and we should be grateful for the terrific and successful event that Dave has created for us all. :)

Guest devil74

What's the alternative then Eddy? - Dave has devoted a lot of time and effort to secure this site, and build a good relationship with the owner, and he's done a fabulous job - despite the small niggles - anywhere else would have had many more issues.

The thing we are all forgetting is that we are spoilt at places like Kelling, SGL, Keilder, PSP, etc.... where the whole site is reserved for astronomers only. Trying to get a seaside campsite to do that is almost impossible because their living depends on more than just us once a year, and they do have other visitors to think of (holidaymakers, seasonal pitches, fishermen, tourers, etc). As it is, they do a very good job of accommodating EMS Star Parties on their site.

We could use Badger Farm - but that has much more limited facilities, less hookups, and next to no scope for expansion as our event grows. Factor in whether the media would be interested in our event if it were restricted, and the public excluded, could we attract quality speakers, trade stands (a new one we're working on), where would a rocket competition go? etc... there's really a lot to consider.

In the true spirit of EMS I think we should all recognise things can't be perfect until we are very much bigger and carry more clout, and we should be grateful for the terrific and successful event that Dave has created for us all. :)

Here Here

Put me down for a pitch Dave - Thurs/Fri/Sat night - i don't need a hook up matey.

I cant say if I will be going or not for definite, it will be a last minute decision and then only for a short stay so I shall book closer to the time and take my chances with ehu pitch etc.

Your hard work and dedication is much appreciated Dave, Ems2 was bosting and it was all down to your hardwork.

Good stuff guys, I hoping ems3 will be a big step up from the previous two years. Im working on lots of little additional bits and bobs that should make ems3 the best yet. Only thing a can't work harder on is the weather so fingers crossed on that one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.