• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ems3 (put this in your diary)

cosmic dave

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Doc

• Brantuk

• red dwalf

Hi David put me down please motorhome and electric

Stephen

Edited by Stephen

Hi Stephen you need to book direct with the site, the tel no is on this thread. You will be able to book through ems from ems4 onwards ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest fusebox666

Not a lot we can do about the seasonal pitch campers Stephen - unless we can persuade the site owners to ask them to move temporarily - which some did. We have raised the question of extra hookups - but nothing firmed up on that yet - and it is a big ask without material commitment to use the site more often.

Dave did a great job securing this site as a regular venue for our star parties - and the owners do their best to accommodate us - but it'll never be perfect unless we can find an alternative like Kelling who close the whole touring site to the public for star party week.

But then their owner is an astronomer - ours is a farmer lol :)

Can I jump in at this part, you don't have to go as far as the east coast to get dark sky's. "Camper uk" at swinethorpe (between Newark and Lincoln) has dark sky's. the site owner has mentioned this to me. He does get a group of "star gazers" use his field, and they have said what a great time there'd had observing the sky. I have been there (not with the scope) and must say it is dark to say the least.

Hi, thanks for the heads up on that place, but for a star party as large as ours, it's no good, they only have 12 pitches which are hard standing that have electric, even though they have a large rally field none of the grass pitches have any electricity. I would say 90% of our members who go to star party's are imagers, they need electric hook up for mounts, laptops etc etc.

12 hard standing pitches with electric can not handle 30 tents requiring power.

Like I say, thanks for the heads up, if I want to nip off one weekend with the van and the wife and kids, I will certainly consider it!

Cheers.

Hi, thanks for the heads up on that place, but for a star party as large as ours, it's no good, they only have 12 pitches which are hard standing that have electric, even though they have a large rally field none of the grass pitches have any electricity. I would say 90% of our members who go to star party's are imagers, they need electric hook up for mounts, laptops etc etc.

12 hard standing pitches with electric can not handle 30 tents requiring power.

Like I say, thanks for the heads up, if I want to nip off one weekend with the van and the wife and kids, I will certainly consider it!

Cheers.

Sorry to stick my nose in but have you thought about hiring a Fuel Cell Generator - these run silent so no complaints - use Hydrogen Bottles for power (yes I know bang but Hydrogen is as safe  until O2) Dont know the cost but maybe shared would help you guys out with the limited hook ups. I dont have any connection to the firm below they are just an example

http://www.upssystems.co.uk/standby-power-products/fuel-cells/todays-available-commercial-fuel-cell-systems/new-fuel-cell-generator-rental-service/

Anyway just an idea thought it might help. :(

@Phillip - many thanks for the heads up on that site Phil - very nice thought - but as Daz mentions I don't think they have the capacity we need as the star party grows. We're expecting it to grow rapidly this year - we're already at critical mass for it to mushroom. :)

@Clive - Another great idea - but as organisers I think we'd be held responsible if anything went wrong - and I'm not sure we can get affordable insurance to cover us for such an eventuality. There would be all sorts of health and safety hurdles to jump over - but many thanks - it's a very nice thought. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest fusebox666

That is me all booked in, Friday to sunday morning. Hope the sea mist isn't going to be a problem. I'm out at mablethorpe Monday (15 sept) so will have a look then.

That is me all booked in, Friday to sunday morning. Hope the sea mist isn't going to be a problem. I'm out at mablethorpe Monday (15 sept) so will have a look then.

Glad you could make it.

The mist has not been an issue for the last 2 years we have held it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.