• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Oundle New Member

Guest mike5537

Guest mike5537

Hi all,

Another new one to add to your collection.

Just a bit about me, I'm 31, always loved looking at the sky but have never got round to doing anything about it. I'm now saving for my first scope. I went to a couple of star gazing nights last year and looked through some scopes of the other peeps there and saw soon amazing sights. To of the list was seeing Saturn and its rings with my own eyes, I couldn't believe I could see it and I've longed to do so again. I also love looking at the moon in high detail.

I'm a photographer by trade so I'd like to try some astro photography some day too.

Anyway that's me. Hi.

Hi mike, welcome to ems.

Looking at saturn as a kid was my first telescope moment, probably aged 9 or so. Although the rings for me were small, i was still amazed that something which just looked like a star to the naked eye was actually another planet, and i could see it.

Have you done any star trails with your camera, or lunar photos?

Glad you've joined up and maybe see you sometime.

James

Hi Mike and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Saturn is a jaw dropping first sight for most folks I reckon. It's an early morning object at the moment and there's only an hour or so to catch it before the sun comes up - it's quite low towards the southern horizon.

Do enjoy the forum, and hope we meet you at one of our dark site observing sessions soon. :)

Hi welcome aboard. I have many fond memories of oundle my nan used to live there and my auntie still does. Nice darkish skies.

Good luck with your new hobby especially if you turn to the dark side, or astro photography, as its otherwise known.

Hi Mike, a warm welcome to EMS.

Grab a pair of of binoculars to get going with. they are a great tool for learning your way round the sky, and will show many great objects that are just beyond what we can see naked eye.

Ask away with any questions you may have in the beginner section, and someone will be along with a half sensible answer.

Enjoy the forum. :)

In fact, i've got a cheap pair of binoculars i don't need, welcome to go to a good home; they are slightly tinted and i'm sure optically not great but they work.

James

Guest mike5537

Thanks for the welcome guys. I think I'm quite lucky as the skies over me are always really dark, and a 2 minute walk in any direction gets me into the middle of nowhere so I think there are good possibilities here. I'm watching a couple of scopes on eBay to see what kind of prices things go for. Might wait till Jan and get a bargain unwanted gift off someone! :-)

I would suggest if you are not familiar with what you are buying, that you run what you might be thinking of getting past the folks in the forum. 

This is to try and prevent you being disappointed, as some of us have been in the past, with what seemed like a good idea at the time. ( Me included!)

There is some great scopes out there for the money, and some that shouldn't even be called scopes. 

Feel free to ask, you will get good advice. :)