• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

All (well most of) the gear and no idea..

Perkil8r

I'm looking for some quick hints and tips on snapping some half decent pictures. I have the SW 200p with EQ5 mount, not ideal I know, but that's what I have so I need to work with it for now. It has RA drive so that's a bit of a help I assume? I've got the Canon 300D DSLR which is as it left the factory except a few firmware updates. I've got my T ring thingy and had a go at putting it all together so I know how all of that happens ready for fumbling about in the dark. So, that's where I'm upto. I don't expect too much, I'm quite realistic on what to get out of it, but that's now where my knowledge runs out.

What i need now is a bit of advice on settings, and a couple of suggestions for targets. I'm assuming I should manage the moon quite easily, but with prime focus what can I expect to be captured in the frame? All of it, half, a quarter......? Moving on a bit I'm thinking Jupiter should be quite easy too? I'm pretty good with Photo Shop and other software, so I don't foresee too many issues on that front, it's just getting a good starting point on the settings and exposure times. Will it matter too much at this early stage that I don't have any filters?

I'm in the same boat as you Mike, got a SW200PDS and a EQ5 Pro (Goto) and a Pentax Kx (plus T ring) I would like to know where to start as well??

I don't image but there are alot here who do and I'm sure they will be along soon to give some advice.

But I would start with the moon, it's large and bright and quite easy to image. As for deep space stuff you can try M31, M13, M81/82 these seem to be the choice of most beginners.

Planets I think are better to image with webcams.

I was thinking I would start with the moon. I imagine something like 1/2 second or less but quite a high f stop to help with contrast? Or have I got that back to front.... I can never remember lol. I imagine something like f11 ish 1/2 second @ iso 800-1000 maybe? As I say, I have no idea really, it's been a long while since I played with my SLR years and years ago, so most of what I knew I've forgotten, but I suspect it will all start coming back to me once I start lol

Thanks Mick, would like some basic settings though? ISO, shutter speed, focusing etc??

I can answer about focusing :)

If your camera has live view it will be easier, otherwise it's a case of either looking through the viewfinder while focusing or taking a few trial shots to get the focusing right. There's a focusing mask, I forget it's name, but it begins with B. It makes a star look erm, star shaped and once all the legs are lined up it's focused I believe.

Myself I was going to use the viewfinder first to get it close then take a shot, zoom in and inspect it, then adjust and so on.....

Hi Mike

Your 300d wont have live preview so forget that, I started with the trusty 300d as well, great cam but it has been overtaken these days.

As others have said start with the moon its big, its bright and you dont need hours of exposure..

Get a cable/remote release to avoid the shakes.

Set the camera on manual.

Focus as best you can, a bhartinov mask wont help with the moon unless you focus on a star 1st but as you dont have live preview it wont be easy so its easier just to focus through the viewfinder; the less kit to faff about with in the dark the better when your starting off IMHO

Set the asa/iso to 200, lightly press the shutter to get the exposure meter up in the view finder then adjust the shutter speed until the exposure needle is in the middle.

Take a shot and it'll be overexposed. Thats because the camera metering is spread over them little squares you can see in the view finder. So adjust the shutter speed faster, (take the needle so it underexposes) Repeat this until you see a nicely exposed image on the screen when you view it.

Once you have the exposure right you can then fiddle with the focus to get it just so.

Once your happy with focus and exposure take loads of shots.

Then on the pc later pick the best cos atmospherics, wobbles and shakes will have messed half of them up.

Taking snaps of Jupiter with the 300d can be done but its a can of slimy wiggly things and shouldnt be attempted lightly :)

The usual weapon of choice for planets is a webcam or a dedicated ccd camera much easier than using a DSLR beleive me.

Hope that helps

Phil

Edited by philjay

Great, thanks for the pointers.

How much of the moon can I expect to capture in the shot? I ask because I've seen lots of talk of patching together a lot of shots mosaic style or some such? Or is that if folks are using a webcam and say a 2x barlow?

Oh yes, nearly forgot, is not having a moon filter going to be a big mistake or will I get away with it? Likewise for removing the whatsit in the camera (I want to say IR filter but probably wrong)

Edited by Perkil8r

Guest Kheldar

300D / 200P You're looking at about a 25% frame fill with a full moon :)

Yes, mosaics are for webcam users

Edited by Kheldar

• 3 weeks later...