• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Coma corrector.

Guest Dave Wall

Usually when imaging with newtonians you need a coma corrector. There may be other occasions I'm not aware of but that's where it seems to be used most :)

The short answer is, depends on your scope.

A Newtonian utilising a parabolic mirror is subject I believe to coma but only a F6 and below, the faster you go, the greater the coma (chromatic aberration or CA).

Certain scopes are designed to reduce these affects or you can buy a coma corrector.

I found wiki's page on coma correction to be nice and clear....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coma_(optics)

But wiki is open to human error, so I would see if anybody else on here has any more.

Guest Kheldar

Is it essential? No :) (Crop FTW)

Would I buy one (and did I for the 200P?) Yes :)

You will get coma at the outer FOV if you slap a DSLR on that ... however if you're using a webcam/small CCD you probably wouldn't even notice it ...

Yes for imaging and if like me you own cheap eyepieces... :P

My ATIK is 1300x1000 ish pixels and I get coma at the edges and this is less than half the area a DSLR covers.

If you read up about it you will see that you don't have to go far from the mirror sweet spot before coma starts to creap in.