• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lifecam cinema hd mod

Guest beewolf

Guest beewolf

I have a LifeCam cinema HD kicking around and I understand that this is a worthwhile camera to modify to dabble with moon and planetary imaging. I am reasonably happy with following the mods detailed by Gary Honis but am confused over the filter required. Obviously an IR/UV filter will only pass visible light but what is the effect if this is omitted, and what is the best source for a suitable cheap filter?

IR/UV have differing focal planes, so can lead to hazy images depending on the scope you are using. It's also a good way to protect the sensor if it is exposed.

Also ccd's are very sensative to uv/ir, a proper astro ir filter is much better suited (due to bandpass) than the original which is usually in the camera lens.