Signing up for the East Midlands Stargazers is really quick and easy. Sign up using your email address, Facebook account or Twitter account, by using one of the buttons below.

Once you've signed up you'll be able to post in the forums to introduce yourself, customise your profile, exchange messages with other members of our community, and attend one of our monthly meetings to meet other members. We welcome members of all skill levels, from the complete beginner to the seasoned veteran of the skies.

Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Stargazing Live 2014 events in the East Midlands

Craig

Stargazing Live 2014 with the East Midlands Stargazers, our official event!

Derbyshire

LeicestershireLincolnshireNottinghamshire

Craig

Last year we compiled a list of events that folks from all over the East Midlands could attend as part of Stargazing Live 2013. We had a huge number of hits on that which means we helped a lot of "could be astronomers" to find events in their local area.

I'd like to do the same this year for 2014.

If you know of an event in your area then please post the details as a reply to this thread and I'll keep it updated! What's above is just a starter for 10. :)

cosmic dave

Unfortunately several events have been cancelled in Lincolnshire because of storm surge damage, the good news is Frampton marsh was not effected and is very definitely on :D

MPOLE

We have ours in Derbyshire (or Nottingahmshire depending on whom you ask), Public day is Jan 14th from 6pm, details to be confirmed.

Craig

We have ours in Derbyshire (or Nottingahmshire depending on whom you ask), Public day is Jan 14th from 6pm, details to be confirmed.

Throw me a link! :P

fondofchips

Rosliston Astronomy Group near Burton on Trent/Swadlincote are doing a Stargazing live event on the 11th of January.

I could not find details of it on their website but it is on the BBC Stargazing live website: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/thingstodo/activity/stargazing-live-54/occurrence/335056

They do some excellent astronomy talks there, I joined EMS because the group is bigger & unlike the Rosliston Group are not stuck with meetings on a particular day (last Friday of each month).

But if anyone close by is thinking of starting the hobby it would be a good place to start & like all astronomy groups is friendly and helpful.  Wrap up warm if you go as it is cold inside & outside the Rosliston Forestry Centre where the meetings are held.

Car parking is £2, entrance is free to the Stargazing Live event.

Wraith01mg

Hoping to be there tomorrow. Been a while off the radar I'm sorry to say due to some unforeseen probs.

Hope to see some of you there.

Mark Harper.

Fantastic turnout at Wymeswold tonight, I think most of the village turned out. Was nice to see a few familiar faces, I think only 3 people recognised me.

TasKiNG

Great night at Wymeswold.

Was nice to meet a few members and pick their brains. I have learned quite a bit tonight.

Thanks to all those involved .

parklife2uk

Fantastic evening at Wymeswold, was great to meet Felix and Al. 

You guys answered all my questions and I think I know what I need to do next....

It was a very proud moment to see my first image of Jupiter on the slideshow - I feel honoured that you decided to use it - thank you.

Would love to come to the next meet up, so please let me know when it's on.

Cheers everyone.

PS Thanks for the lift Dennis!

Big Al

Charnwood College in Loughborough is holding an astronomical and stargazing evening on Thursday 23rd Jan, from 6 to 8:30 pm. Leicester Uni are involved as are De Lisle college.

Alan.

Orion

Fantastic turnout at Wymeswold tonight, I think most of the village turned out. Was nice to see a few familiar faces, I think only 3 people recognised me.

I think the lack of recognition thing in general comes from all the weather gear we wear, especially hats and meeting in the dark

Orion

Charnwood College in Loughborough is holding an astronomical and stargazing evening on Thursday 23rd Jan, from 6 to 8:30 pm. Leicester Uni are involved as are De Lisle college.

Alan.

Do you know exactly where? Just that I heard of some upcoming astro event "in the science park" which I think was just off the first roundabout on Ashby road down from J23 M1 (could have been misinformed). I wondered if it was the same as the one you mention Al? or another. The only place I know if Loughborough college is on Epinal Way, opposite the university.

fondofchips

An Evening of Astronomy and Stargazing
Charnwood College High School, Loughborough

Run by: De Lisle College

Thursday 23rd of January.

Here is the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/thingstodo/activity/an-evening-of-astronomy-and-stargazing-03/occurrence/347258

Easy access from the M1 as you do not have to go into Loughborough from that side of town.

Venue address & postcode:

Charnwood College High School

Thorpe Hill, Loughborough, LE11 4SQ

Venue open 6.00pm - 8.30pm.

Other details:

Dr. John Bridges, a planetary scientist at the University of Leicester will be giving a talk about Exploring Mars with Curiosity Rover.
Nottingham Astronomical Society will be present with their telescopes for members of the public to look at the night sky (weather permitting) and will be giving advice about the equipment that they use.
There will also be demonstrations of Leicester University's Planeterrella, a piece of apparatus that simulates the polar (auroral) light and the opportunity to see a large display of meteorites. Visitors are free to bring their own telescopes and binoculars.

Parking is OK, but I would advise getting there early or you will end up parking on adjacent streets.

Cheers,

Harry.

Mark Harper.

I think the lack of recognition thing in general comes from all the weather gear we wear, especially hats and meeting in the dark

Correct, lol.

Big Al

Harry beat me to it. I had just picked it up from a flyer courtesy of OH who works at Charnwood College. Sadly, they had neglected to put any more info on their website.

Alan.

Toymaster

Hi,

Just a reminder of an item from a notice of events earlier in this thread...

There is a LAS / Leicester Council "Stars in the Park" event at Evington House, Evington Park, Leicester on Friday 7th February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/thingstodo/activity/stars-in-the-park/occurrence/334980

I'm not involved but I hope to be there and it would be good to meet anyone from EMS

Cheers

Ade