• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

On days like these....

Perkil8r

I realise how very lucky I am.

1530414_10152073109408917_1960825784_n.j

The sky was clear, the sun was out and I was asked to set up the solar scope for a small class who haven't yet seen the observatory. I did so and gave them a quick tour and a look at the sun through the Coronado Solarmax. One girl remarked:

"Sir, genuinely I never get excited to be at school, I am actually genuinely excited to be here today now, this is awesome!"

Moments like that make me realise how very lucky I am, and how I can, just maybe, give some young inquiring mind a gentle push in the right direction :)

I keep chuckling to myself when I look at that picture, the Solarmax looks tiny :lol: it's actually quite a large scope, but tiny at the side of big bertha!

Make sure no fool puts an eye piece into Big Bertha to get a better look at the sun!

Yeah, kids are great, and moments like that are priceless. I never knew you were a big softie inside :)

JD

Make sure no fool puts an eye piece into Big Bertha to get a better look at the sun!

Yeah, kids are great, and moments like that are priceless. I never knew you were a big softie inside :)

JD

They can't, all the EP's are locked away and they are not let up there without a member of staff :) I am working on an alternative plan though involving mounting the Solarmax the opposite direction to the main scope, for precisely that reason.

These are the day's the kids will remember many years from now. That is a good day's work.  :thumbsup:

I don't mind admitting I had hayfever symptoms at that point :blush: it's quite something to have been spoken to like that by one of those dreadful little children :)