• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Boston Lincolnshire

Guest MelissaPhillips

Guest MelissaPhillips

Hello there,

My name is Melissa and I am hailing from Boston, Lincolnshire.

I have a Skywatcher 10" Dobsonion telescope and I am just getting back into stargazing after a several year break.

I started my astronomy career with a 60 or 70mm Argos refractor telescope some years ago, then unfortunately gave up the hobby due to bullying at school.

I then redeveloped my interest in the hobby after downloading the ISS tracker app for my iPhone.

I am just starting out in my 'serious' go at this hobby, and know a few constellations, such as Orion, the plough Pegasus and Cassiopea, and know some basic sky objects such as Andromeda, The Pleiades, The Orion Nebula and of course the planets, but I am hoping to locate more as I get more experienced.

Pleased to meet you all :-)

Guest MelissaPhillips

I'm definitely hoping to come to the meeting, is it January 4th? Also wanting to come along to Frampton Marsh for SGL :-)

Hi Melissa and welcome to the forum, it`s Mark,  glad you found us ok. As I said to you today, you will see some great stuff with that big scope of yours. Look forward to seeing you again at the meeting and introducing you to everyone.

Hello and welcome to EMS, glad you have rekindled your love for astronomy, shame you lost interest in the first place due to some mindless morons.

Like Felix mentioned above, nice scope, wish I had that one, but saying that, had I got the 10" one I would of wished I had the 12" lol.

Anyway, welcome to EMS, hope you enjoy the forum.

A warm welcome to EMS Melissa.

The ELAC lot are a great bunch, and Iam sure you will get some great views with the scope. Galaxy season is just round the corner, that will blow your socks off!

Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone :-) looking forward to my first ELAC meeting in January :-)

Make sure you bring some clear sky along with you. :thumbsup:

Welcome Melissa, Badger farm is a lovely dark site andromeda is easily naked eye there and we have the use of a hut if its cloudy. You might want to check out ems3 starparty in October thats held at anderby just north of skeggy :D

Welcome to EMS Melissa.

Good for you for ignoring those idiots and that you've got into astronomy again !

There's so many friendly & helpful people on here you'll acquire a wealth of

information in no time. In fact most of everything that I've learned (and I still consider myself a novice)

has been picked up from the various online forums.

Good luck with your telescope.....

Guest Tweedledum

warm welcome to ems. If you have not already done so download a planetarium program. Lots out there but try Stellarium, its great and free, to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/ . A couple of books 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' will help guide you round the sky.

Guest MelissaPhillips

Thanks all for the welcomes, I am an iPad user as don't have a laptop (Do have a desktop with Stellarium on it though) and I have several apps that I use. I'm hoping to purchase Turn Left at Orion as it certainly looks a good read. :-)

Turn Left At Orion is really nice.

Be aware they also sell it in a 'spiral' ring-bound version. Much better than the hardback version when you're outside in the dark etc  :)

Hi Melissa and welcome, newbie here myself - well returning to this hobby after a few years lay off.

Hope to se you at the next meeting.

Regards, Neil.

Oh and the works bookshop in skeg are selling astronomy for dummies, its a fantastic read for 4 quid with lots of relevant uk websites listed inside. Is there a works in Boston?