• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Need to decide what scope and mount to buy

Guest nottsbloke

Guest nottsbloke

Title says it all really! I've had a couple of false starts at this, and ended up buying a scope that wasn't really what I needed.

I think I need to come to one of the meetings at Belper or at the dark sites to get some expert advice!

Guest CodnorPaul

Hi Craig - a visit to one of the meets is a great idea, there is a lot of different kit to view.

What type of scope if best for you is down to a number of variancies - DSO or planetary, or both, budget, mount type, etc.

Guest nottsbloke

Thanks! I made the mistake of buying a reflector that was too big to move in and out, and it wasn't being used enough.

This time I need to plan properly!

Yeah like mentioned above, lots of factors need taking into account, like how much you want to spend, do you want it to be portable, do you want to do astro photography or visual or both, all the above factor into what OTA to buy.

Getting to a meet I would say is a must as you get to "try before you buy" that way you get to see and ask questions at the same time, it helps loads if you can actually see some kit rather than read about it and learn about all the pros and cons, and as always, check on here before you buy.

If your not a million miles from me (Hucknall) your more than welcome to pop over and I can explain about the differences between the different types of scopes.

It's a mine field isn't it!

I reckon we have all made mistakes, but having a look at gear in the flesh is probably one of the best ways of choosing what is right for you. Good second hand scopes are well worth a look, as you get a bit more for your money, but ALWAYS go and see it first.

As Daz mentioned, come and have a look at some, our SGL event at Wymeswold will have all sorts of scopes on show, and of course any help you need.

If you come across one you think might be suitable, just run it past the folks in the forum and get some feedback on it, it might save another problem.

Good luck.

Thanks Daz. I'm the other side of Nottingham, but always willing to travel for advice!

I will drop you a pm with my address on, then it's up to you if you fancy a brew and a chat, also like Martyn said, our stargazing live event will be a great place to learn loads.

If you definitely want an alt/az scope with an 8" aperture and don't intend to do any imaging - then the 200P dob is about the most popular starter scope (or first upgrade scope) in the UK. You certainly won't go wrong with it.

Just be sure it satisfies your requirements and get a good look at one before buying so you know what physical size of scope you're getting. :)

I'm leaning towards dobs now after reading some of the threads, particularly this onehttp://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.htmlI still need to "try before I buy" but any thoughts?

That's the exact scope I have, my offer still stands and in a way, may be preferable if you come over as you can see it in the light, I will be at WW helping out at the BBC Stargazing live event next month, so weather permitting it will be outside, but then you will only see it in the dark and under red light!

See my signature below to see what mods I have done and in my opinion, mods that need doing to make the dob base usable.

Also, tomorrow night seems to be clear skies (Monday) so feel free to stop by if you want, that way you can see it in the light then give it a test drive in the dark.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest nottsbloke

Cheers everyone again for all the advice! I got the impression from the FO site that it may be a bit hefty in size so hence my."try before I buy" comment. Don't want to make the same mistake again!

Daz - really appreciate your offer. Can't get over tomorrow unfortunately, but will definitely take you up on the offer. I'll keep an eye on my 'Astro Panel' app!

I'll keep my money in my wallet for a while. Need to make the right choice this time.

Guest CodnorPaul

SCTs are a good option if you want to keep it compact but still have sufficient aperture to satisfy your interest - plus depending on what you buy you can have them fork mounted or EQ mounted, and with a focal reducer (or if you are brave then hyperstar) they can also be used for AP.  The downside is they do cost more but they are cracking scopes - as you can tell there are positives and negatives with all designs.

I am also at WW for SGL event with my scope so be sure to introduce yourself and you are welcome to have a look.