• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Commultation

Guest pvcprinting

Guest pvcprinting

At least, i think that's how its spelt!

Hoping somebody can clear something up for me....

We had visitors over today who have 2 young daughters. Chloe was keen to show off her telescope so once it got dark i set it up pointing at Jupiter and went to get them........

When i set it up the line up between the viewfinder and the view through the eyepiece was just about spot on central to each other

I left the scope with my friends dad present with his younger daughter and came into the house to retrieve the eyepiece box

When i got back out, naturally everything had moved so attempted to line it all up again....

This time to my horror, the image although bang central to the cross hairs in the viewfinder was not present at all in the eyepiece....in fact the image was low and off to the right!!

Clearly something has been touched, played with that shouldn't have been, I'm hoping the scope just needs re commultating....

Anybody able to confirm this....

My initial thought was the young one may have grabbed at the vanes, but i cant see any bend in them, although i appreciate that they wouldnt have to be damaged too much to throw out the alignment

Thanks in advonce 

Just FYI, it's collimation and I second Stephens verdict, collimation will not of been effected, collimation is if the view through the main scope ep's are out of focus and no mater of inward or outward focusing will get it in focus.

:)

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest Kheldar

Thanks folks....has eased my fears

How do you re-align it.....

find an image and centre it in the eyepiece first, then move the viewfinder??

That about sums it up, probably easier to find it in viewfinder (should be somewhere in eyepiece field of view) then perform the above :)

Just FYI, it's collimation and I second Stephens verdict, collimation will not of been effected.....

Just FYI Daz it's ".......will not HAVE been affected.." ;):D

Edited by catman161

And just to be really pedantic and petty, here is one of your previous posts...

"Welcome

To the forum and like I said you'll got the limit in no time for accessing private messaging function."

Lol, your just as bad as me.

;)

Collimation is a totally different process Pete. The biggest likelihood is that the finder was knocked out of line as stated above. One other possibility is that the eyepiece was changed for a higher power and revealed a finder alignment error - but I think you only have one eyepiece.

Collimation is the process of lining up the primary and secondary mirrors with the focus tube to ensure that light beam is square on and delivered centrally to the focal plane and eyepiece (giving the best view). Someone at a meeting will talk you through that - it's easy to do but hard to explain in text.

Glad to here Chloe is chuffed with her scope :)