• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Warp speed, Scotty!

Craig

Here's a question, is it Sci Fi that helps push Science in the right direction or would we have thought about this anyway? Either way, science rocks :rockon:

I reckon it would have come along eventually, but I reckon it was certainly brought forward quicker through Star Trek and co.

I reckon it would have come along eventually, but I reckon it was certainly brought forward quicker through Star Trek and co.

I'm not so sure.

There have been a lot of predictions made in science fiction that have become a reality, but there have been an equal number that haven't. The challenge of getting from A to B when the distance between them is enormous would have been present regardless of whether Star Trek suggested the ability to travel faster than light. Science tends not to linger on questions like these, but to investigate, observe and understand.

What I think science fiction may have done is garnered a greater interest in science and exploration, particularly of space, which could have helped maintain political backing and funding.

Bloody good question Mike - it gets one thinking!

I'm not so sure.

There have been a lot of predictions made in science fiction that have become a reality, but there have been an equal number that haven't. The challenge of getting from A to B when the distance between them is enormous would have been present regardless of whether Star Trek suggested the ability to travel faster than light. Science tends not to linger on questions like these, but to investigate, observe and understand.

What I think science fiction may have done is garnered a greater interest in science and exploration, particularly of space, which could have helped maintain political backing and funding.

Bloody good question Mike - it gets one thinking!

I should probably have said brought it forwards in the light that the ideas have far more attention than they would have if they were never put out in something like Star Trek, which has kind of paved a path for the whole possibility of travelling to other stars in the public's view etc

I make no sense ignore me :lol: 

The way I see it, Scientific developments are born from question. If we had no questions we would have no need to seek an answer. What I think Sci Fi does, or has done (since most things have been thought of now) is give us a futuristic view of "what if". Take for example the communicators on Star Trek. At the time it was a ridiculous thought that we might one day have a small hand held device that could send information from one being to another without wires. Now look, we have small hand held devices capable of so much more than just that, what's more, most of us own one or more of them!

What we get from such things is dreams and aspirations. The very nature of the human race is that of inquiry and inventiveness. I think we see these things and think at the time "how cool would that be?". A few boffins then look to see if there is any way of making it become reality. One small step at a time we solve each part of the puzzle until we get to a point where we can achieve the biggest part of any dream we might have. The only limit to human ingenuity is our imagination.

Faster than light travel is on the one hand impossible, and yet the universe demands that it is possible in order for the universe to have been created (not a word I wanted to use) in the way it has. One day in the future folks will look back on the present day and wonder how we ever survived without warp speed, much in the same way we might look back and wonder how we ever survived without fire and tools. Sometimes I think it is easy to forget what a truely incredible age we live in. Just in my lifetime the advancements we have made are mind bending, imagine what tomorrow will bring!