• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moonlight fitted to my 200P.

Daz Type-R

Well after an hour of scrabbling around trying to find Allen keys and such things that would fit the bolts, finally managed to get the moonlight fitted to my 200P.

Why they can't use a universal size hex bolt is beyond me!

Anyway, first impressions now it is fitted is that it looks great and the movement is fantastic, apparently they are set to a load capacity of 3 lbs out the factory, my TeleVue Ethos 13mm is 1.3 lbs so there may be some room for improvement there on the load capacity of the focuser.

My only bad point about this product is not the focuser kit itself but the fitting kit. If you see the photos below it is not a flush fit, allowing light to seep in from the sides, I believe Felix has pointed this out on a previous post.

I'm thinking of cutting up a rubber bike inner tube and sticking that to the bottom of the fitting kit, that should solve the issue.

Anyway, here are some photos to show it fitted and the light ingress.

6E271882-8EBD-4A87-9938-0D386189D875_zps

F0E2FF3B-8592-45FD-8934-CFB75E24EBFE_zps

07B672A7-266F-4CE1-A684-AD981A9CD6FC_zps

Guest Kheldar

Another option is to flock (I used a piece of carbon fibre) under where the focuser sits and just make a precise hole for the focuser draw tube :)

Edited by Kheldar

Another option is to flock (I used a piece of carbon fibre) under where the focuser sits and just make a precise hole for the focuser draw tube :)

Thanks for that, I may wait until I flock the entire OTA and then do as you suggest.

Just popped the scope outside to make sure all was well, got Jupiter in under a minute, happy that I could "see" something brought the whole lot back inside and noticed the focuser was almost (not quite) at its maximum out limit (if that makes sense, see photo below) while this is not an issue I am just wondering if there is anything I could do to alter the focal point to allow the focuser to not need so much outward travel, have I used too many of the spacers that came with the fitting kit, would removing one make a difference.

3C26E57B-6F91-48AF-B3B6-9EBB81CFA0D5_zps

Guest Kheldar

Nope, you're going to need an extension tube to be comfortable - Moonlite's are lower profile (which is why imagers love them) :)

There should have been an option at point of order to go for the longer 4.5" draw tube?

Hmmm, I went by FLO's recommendation (well, how I interpreted their comments on the order page) which I have pasted below.....

For visual use most owners select the standard 50mm draw-tube length. For imaging the shorter 38mm draw-tube is preferred. For the Skywatcher 190MN Maksutov-Newtonian please select the standard 50mm draw-tube.

So I went by what they suggested and got the 50mm.

May give them a ring in the new year and see if I can do a swap for a longer one.

Cheers matey.

:)

Actually you can purchase 0.5" and 1" risers (sit between fitting kit and focuser) I think ... or talk to Graham ;)

I already have them in, they came with the fitting kit so just fitted the lot.

Guest Kheldar

One more thought before I retire for the evening ... the Ethos is a native 2" EP is it not?

I'm very surprised you were not at the outer limits of the focuser on the original one? 2" EPs normally need to be a lot further out than 1.25" ones .... and then when you add a filter ... even further :(

Looking good Daz. I fitted just the 0.5 inch spacer and use a 1.5 extension tube which I also purchased from FLO at the same time. However when using the camera I don't need to use the extension tube once I have the powermate in. Although my draw tube is the 38mm version.

When you put in your ethos were you holding it on the 1.25" barrel or the 2"? If you were holding on the 2" then you would need to to use the extra length of focus equal to the difference between the 1.25" - 2" barrel clamping locations.

The EP will still have the same actual focal position, just the focuser draw tube position will alter.

Edit: the Allen keys will be standard imperial sizes. The yanks haven't quite got the hang of the metric system yet :lol:

Edited by T A WOW

Thanks for that, I originally had it on the1.25" focuser but I much prefer the fit of the 2", I did the same with my Baader zoom, the whole ep just feels more secure in the 2" focuser, also, the difference in height is negligible, but it is still good to know.

I think I will stick with it for now, see how I get on and if it causes any issues, I will just order a longer tube from FLO, doubt there will be any issues as the focuser wit the Ethos in at full length is still solid, won't budge or flex at all!

Not tried yet Ron, when I looked at Jupiter it was not pin sharpe but the OTA had been in the lounge for 3 hours which due to the wife being cold we had the heating on full blast, I only had the OTA outside for 2-3 minutes so I put the bad seeing down to the fact the scope had not cooled, also, I don't have an Allen key small enough to alter the collimation hex bolts, damn the Americans and their imperial system, lol.

I had to redo collimation from ground up when I did mine Ron. I used these Daz-bargain if you ask me. The only annoying (but I suppose necessary) thing was that when you first get them the manufacturers have been rather generous with the WD40 to keep them from corroding whilst in storage. Don't put them on the carpet!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00439KN9M

having reservations about fitting a Moonlight to the MN190, the fitting thread on SGL seems OK till you read on the latest one's that they are removing them and fitting SW Dual Crayfords because of collimation issues!

Might just fit a SW Dual (+motor focuser) myself or leave well alone!!