• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter 30.12.2013

catman161

Stuck my head out the window this evening at around 9pm and saw it was clear so set up to try and catch a final Jupiter of 2013. Seeing was not good at all, transient high cloud also which stopped play after just 90 minutes of actual useable time once scope had cooled.

Scope: 200P Mount:NEQ6 Pro Camera: ZWO ASI120MC

2047 of 2500 frames stacked/wavelets in Registax 5.1, unsharp mask in PS CS2.

11657395823_d5edbd3beb_o.png
Capture 30_12_2013 22_35_26_pippUS by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Guest devil74

Cracker that Felix..really nice contrast of the bands and good to see a couple of moons too. You always produce good shots of the orange giant.

Cheers Damian, very kind of you to say :)

I (like most I think) am constantly trying to get better, more detailed images. I have a feeling I will need to get a x4 powermate to get more detail I think. Hopefully there may be a January sale on them :D

Not that I'm much of an imager or anything, but how often do you check the Collimation on your scope Felix? I watched Damien Peaches' DVD on planetary imaging and he said it was of the upmost importance to have "PERFECT" Collimation.

Edit: nice picture too :)

Edited by T A WOW

Every session Tobias. Once it's in the mount I check collimation visually first, just a simple check to see all three mirror clips to check it is all squared up nicely and then with Hotech self centering laser collimator. With it being a newt I always do it every time as I am paranoid that any bump will knock it out of collimation. I when that is done I do a star test and Defocus and check for a nice ring donut shape. Only then do I think about starting imaging.

Nice. I should probably do mine sometime. Are you going to the SGL meet at WW in jan? I've got a laser collimator but not certain if I get it right :lol:

Yeah I will be there :) You probably are doing it correctly but we can have a look then if ya like?