• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi everyone.

Dennis1954

Just putting my toe into this hobby and have borrowed a skywatcher 127 goto. Managed a few views over the last few weeks; Jupiter, moon, a few interesting stars. Not mastered the goto although in fairness not really tried. Still deciding on what to actually buy.

Welcome to EMS :)

If you let us know what you want to do, visual or Astrophotography (AP) or a bit of both and your budget I am sure we can help with recommendations so you do t end up buying something you won't use it doesn't do what you want it to.
If you can get to a meeting it's always gets to have a go on the people who are there scopes so you can get a feel for size etc.
if you put a post on beginners section you will get responses and help from the experienced guys on here. We're a friendly bunch :)

Thanks for that Felix. I hope to go to a few stargazing events which I hope will help.Its difficult to know what I want to do until you see whats possible but at the moment looking at planets and some deep sky objects taking some simple photos like the moon. Guess most important is I want it to be transportable.

Dennis

Hello and welcome to EMS.

We are holding a BBC stargazing live event on the 18th January at one of our dark sites, it's in Wymeswold so not too far from Leicester, pop along as quite a few of us will be there with our kit.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Dennis

Don't suppose you are going to the Stargazing Live event at the Leicester uni are you????

There will be a varied selection of scopes to have a look at and through (Weather permitting)!!!

Failing that look out for a Wymeswold viewing session.  I'm a Leicester lad too so could share the petrol 

That's where I started. Good bunch here :-)

Welcome 

Not to Leicester Paul. Didn't know about this till too late and you cannot register now! Am going to Wymeswold ( well plan to) sorry I actually live near Loughborough so a bit out of your way.

Hi Dennis, a warm welcome to EMS.

The scope you have borrowed is a great scope for planets and the moon, but will only show the brighter DSO's. Getting the hang of a goto can be a real trial as well.

But help is at hand, if you have any questions please feel free to ask, just post in the beginners section and someone will try and advise.

I can only echo that getting to have a look at different scopes is the best way to choose yours. They all perform differently, and you can get some idea of size and cost.

Please feel free to ask any question in the mean time, post in the beginners and help section.

Enjoy the forum.

Thanks for all the "welcomes" and the offers and advice. I have made some decisions based on what I have read but will wait and see some of you at Wymeswold. Again thanks for the offers and advice.

Dennis

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to EMS, as above good choice, wait to see what others have, and what might suit you best before parting with hard earned cash!