• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Buying the ASI120mm from china or UK dealer

Guest AstroOlly

Guest AstroOlly

Hi,

I know a lot of people use this camera, have people bought from there UK dealer 365astronomy, or direct from ZWoptical website? I ask because there is a £30 difference even with the postage from china, or is there an issue with customs, if so I guess it would work out more expensive.

Any thoughts

Olly

I don't know about the camera, but I have purchased from 365 Astronomy and always had good service.

There may be implications with import duty and VAT, which will have to be paid if they pick it up at customs. They don't seem to be too swift at forwarding it on when you have paid, so you might be in for a wait.

Bank on import duty for sure - the government website will tell you how much - from America you can add half the price on again after all the taxes and duties - even on 3 stainless steel screws that cost me £12 from the US will be due for £3 import duty. I'll bet China will have similar costs. Best to get the best price from dealers in the UK. Always check with FLO last cos they will try to price match for you. :)

Guest AstroOlly
Bank on import duty for sure - the government website will tell you how much - from America you can add half the price on again after all the taxes and duties - even on 3 stainless steel screws that cost me £12 from the US will be due for £3 import duty. I'll bet China will have similar costs. Best to get the best price from dealers in the UK. Always check with FLO last cos they will try to price match for you. :)

FLO don't stock them, I have checked, 365astronomy is the Only UK dealer I can find, and the one ZWOPTICAL recommend.

Regards

Olly

I do believe you're right - I can't find them anywhere except 365. The nearest I think is Teleskop Service in Germany - very respectable dealer if you've never heard of them. Worth doing a price comparison. :)

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5916_ASI120MM-SW-USB2-0-Kamera---abnehmbares-Objektiv---Planeten---Wetter---Deep-Sky---.html

I've never bought anything worth more than about £20 from outside the EU.

I looked into it though and found that to calculate the costs, you need follow these steps...

Convert the amount including shipping in foreign currency to GBP using the current exchange rate.

Add a couple of percent, because they always seem to use a more favourable exchange rate for them.

Then add VAT at 20%.

Then add 4.2% customs duty because that is the normal rate for astro-related goods.

Also allow for a possible extra admin/handling fee which may be in the region of about £10.

Dealing with the EU is much easier since the price you see is the price you pay. VAT is already dealt with and customs duty doesn't apply.

Teleskop Service in Germany are really efficient and speak excellent English if you phone them. I have received goods from them within 3 working days of ordering!

There was no VAT, no fees or anything added to my order, $328 around £200, so even if you get really unlucky on fees it should in theory still work out cheaper.

That is great Eddy :)

I'm sure that with government cutbacks, a lot of stuff slips the net and gets passed straight through with no charges. I often find that in general, there is little difference in price buying here or abroad if you get stung for duty and VAT.

That encourages me to take a chance and try to grab a bargain direct from the US or China :)

Same as eddy; no import duties either time for me from hong kong, and delivery in under 72 hours.

Guest AstroOlly
There was no VAT, no fees or anything added to my order, $328 around £200, so even if you get really unlucky on fees it should in theory still work out cheaper.

The camera is $328 plus $28 for delivery now, works out at £228,

So of it does get stopped it will cost more than buying here, they are £259 at 365astronomy

Olly

Just wondering how these cameras compare with the new iNova range that's been introduced by AA ?