• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wind!

parklife2uk

Just tried out my new camera lens, but couldn't get any decent images because of the wind. Shame because it's clear out there.

Hi Steve,

Might be a silly question but I am a Newbie, but was that due to stability of the scope or atmospheric changes?

Just been taking a look at the waning moon with my spotting scope sheltered from the wind and the image was pretty good at 60x (  For me that is :-)   )

Cheers,

Adrian

Hi,

I'm a newbie too, but I struggled to take some photos tonight because of the wind. My camera tripod just wasn't up to the job or the wind is too strong in Loughborough!

Steve

Guest peepshow

If you frequently take  shots on a tripod why not drive a short, stout, metal stake into the ground in your garden and fix the ball and socket head onto that ?  It would then take a mighty wind to move that.

The wind is disturbing astronomers generally at the moment. I wanted to get the dob out last night but it would just act like a huge sail in the recent stiff breezes we're getting. Imaging will be even more sensitive too it - I don't think you can blame Loughborough lol :lol:

When the weather settles why not trip along to Wymeswold for a session with us. Several members do imaging from there and you'll likely get loads of advice on possible alternative mounts/tripods to consider. :)

I'm currently at a spot nr Milford Haven with some really good dark skies (unless you look West over the water to the docks) but typically the winds are awful. Gusting in excess of 50pmh yesterday. Can hardly walk I am a straight line let alone set the scope up :-(

Correction to the above..... That's East towards the docks!

No wonder I struggle to find what I'm looking for :-D

When the weather settles why not trip along to Wymeswold for a session with us. Several members do imaging from there and you'll likely get loads of advice on possible alternative mounts/tripods to consider.  :)

I'll be there on the 18th, all being well