• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How often do you observe?

Guest nickyb

Guest nickyb

Hi,

New to the forum, new to visual astronomy (but not to the theoretical physics part!). I'm interested to hear from members how often in a week they might observer (weather permitting of course).

One thing that always was a downer for me was getting up early, like 4am to do some observing. I'm happy to stay up late, but getting up, especially in the dead of winter, freezing temperatures was never appealing.

Just curious what other members observing habits are?

Cheers

Nick

;)

Guest Kheldar

If it's clear on a Friday or Saturday (even if just for a few hours) I will endeavour to be at a dark site.

If there's a good night in the week I might set the rig up :)

If it's clear and I'm not knackered I get a scope out and have a prod around the sky. Recently I've probably averaged 2-3 times per week - but that's down to new gear fever lol. Normally once a week would be a fair estimate. :)

If it is clear and it is Sunday to Thursday then I set up whenever I can in the back garden (if clear after 23:00 then I don't bother mid week but I will stay out until the small hours if I have been set up prior to 23:00).

Friday + Saturday nights and it's clear then somebody normally sticks a meet thread up and we go the one of the dark sites.

As a newbie not enough..

The more interested I get the worse the weather it seems right now, but as I'm retired late nights are no problem as long as I have not fallen asleep in front of the TV :-)

Adrian

Guest nickyb

thanks for the great feedback on observing. I think I will be okay up to around 2.00am, but I don't think I could do twilight stints, unless I also have some form of CCD camera rigged up. As yet I don't have a scope, but awaiting to get a 115m F7 ED from altair when the new model comes in to stock!

Clear skies,

Nick

Guest CodnorPaul

You say that but it is surprising when you get into it that you lose all sense of time, especially when you know you don't have to get up in the morning - you might find the only thing stopping you is the rising sun ;)

Guest nickyb

You say that but it is surprising when you get into it that you lose all sense of time, especially when you know you don't have to get up in the morning - you might find the only thing stopping you is the rising sun ;)

Good point Paul, that is what I'm afraid of  :D

I work away from home so time is precious at weekends. However if it's clear on a Friday or Saturdays I'll set the scope up in hope. However family harmony dictates I need to miss some of the few clear weekends we get :(

Not often enough, as we don't have a garden, home observing is out of the question and means we're dependant on the dark sites, so we usually tie a visit to the dogs trust with the ww dark site.

Guest nickyb

I work nights now so not often at all.

thank chaps...sorry some of you work late shifts though. I guess in an ideal world solar observing also would be a good thing maybe.

Guest foundaplanet

Not as much as I could lately with work and living on my own life is a bit bonkers especially when you add a four legged friend that needs walks. But I am planning to move so I have a better garden which should hopefully mean I can add an obsy and make it all easy or at least easier. Desperate to become an apprentice to Darth Vader..

I have to get up early week days, and have leisure centre with two five-a-side pitch's 500m away, so it don't happen much in the week. But if Iam able to I get to a meet and stay as long as I can to make the most of it.

There's a good few of us on here with knackered backs, so health is a problem sometimes as well.

There's a good few of us on here with knackered backs, so health is a problem sometimes as well.

Some of us are just too knackered :D .

If you have time, you can read though my blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.fr/

I aim to check the sunspots, at least once per day. My preferred method is photography but conditions and a busy day job often mean I'm more likely to check them in filtered binoculars and I draw the approximate sizes and positions using Powerpoint.

At night my main aim is to get a full disc shot of the Moon but quite often the clear spells co-incide with family activities, such as mealtimes. On moonless evenings, I usually try a constellation shot or few with my DSLR but will sometimes aim for deep sky objects. While taking constellation shots, I sometimes multi-task and have a look with my binoculars at the brighter deep sky objects.

At weekends, I will often have longer sessions that include solar close-ups or hydrogen alpha shots in daylight.

either friday or saturday at darksite if it is likely to be remotely clear and at home any other time i can find the

time to get out :)

Guest nickyb

If you have time, you can read though my blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.fr/

I aim to check the sunspots, at least once per day. My preferred method is photography but conditions and a busy day job often mean I'm more likely to check them in filtered binoculars and I draw the approximate sizes and positions using Powerpoint.

At night my main aim is to get a full disc shot of the Moon but quite often the clear spells co-incide with family activities, such as mealtimes. On moonless evenings, I usually try a constellation shot or few with my DSLR but will sometimes aim for deep sky objects. While taking constellation shots, I sometimes multi-task and have a look with my binoculars at the brighter deep sky objects.

At weekends, I will often have longer sessions that include solar close-ups or hydrogen alpha shots in daylight.

Hi,

Thanks for the post. I'll keep an eye on your blog.

Mostly I work from home, I live in a small village and its pretty dark, we have a large garden. But currently I have no scope etc, awaiting for a new 115mm frac when it gets built.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Not a visual observer, imaging only (can't quite remember when I last 'looked' through an eyepiece.

Imaging wise as often as possible at whatever time I can

Ever since I converted my shed into a 'warm room' it's been cloudy all but 2 nights!! I was imaging on both of them!!