• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

How often do you observe?

Guest nickyb

Only when its clear ;)

but there again I'm nocturnal, or so some think

unless I'm doing solar :D

semi retirement helps, well thats what I call the work I do now

Edited by Ibbo

Hi Nick,

Not a visual observer, imaging only (can't quite remember when I last 'looked' through an eyepiece.

Imaging wise as often as possible at whatever time I can

I guess most of my time these days is spent imaging but I do find it nice to have a look round from time to time.

Only when its clear ;)

but there again I'm nocturnal, or so some think

unless I'm doing solar :D

semi retirement helps, well thats what I call the work I do now

I find that it doesn't have to be clear and many of my observations, especially checking for sunspots using filtered binoculars, can be done under the most appalling conditions. Also, I find it is possible to view and photograph the Moon when it is the only object visible in the night sky. Making the best of less than perfect conditions is pretty much a necessity. I don't snap constellations under poor conditions, though, only if I'm aboard on business and snapping things I cannot from the UK.

• 1 year later...

If it's clear, I'm out in the garden observing. Granted, I've only had the scope one month, but I'm looking to get out as much as possible.

I try and observe solar when it's clear as much as I can, as for night time observing maybe once a fortnight in the summer and once a week in the winter.

Mmm, maybe once a week on average. Generally there has to be a coincidence of clear sky and morning lay in so Friday or Saturday nights. There are special things that I'll stay up for on a work night.Was out till about 1-00 last Tues/Wed for the Venus/Jupiter conjunction and then later Saturn. Waited for a long time for the clouds to part!

• 5 months later...

14 days so far in December. Despite the bad weather, I have still managed 5 daytime observations and 3 dark ones:

http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/december-2015.html

I get the impression I'm the most frequent observer here but I don't tend to do long sessions. During a "normal" December I'm out most clear evenings, even if only for a bin scan or some lunar shots. I will quite often have several short sessions, particularly on a Friday or Saturday.

10 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

I get the impression I'm the most frequent observer here

Not sure where you get that idea Phil, I have done 1 daytime session with my son and 3 possibly 4 night time sessions, I just don't tell everybody about every single session.

17 minutes ago, Daz Type-R said:

Not sure where you get that idea Phil, I have done 1 daytime session with my son and 3 possibly 4 night time sessions, I just don't tell everybody about every single session.

Sorry, Darren. I always thought somebody must do more than I do. I usually tweet when I have an image but I only report stuff here monthly or when there's something of particular interest.

Strangely enough, many people are looking at my reprocessed planet shots.

14 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

Strangely enough, many people are looking at my reprocessed planet shots.

I wonder why....... ;) 

23 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

I wonder why....... ;) 

Much as astronomers like forums, I would be outside snapping and viewing if it wasn't for the weather. Strangely enough, most of my recent views are from Russia. OK, I've been there on a school trip and twice as a training instructor but, at the time I was there, I didn't have a blog. Incidentally, my Mars pictures are certainly anything but great but I'm surprised I can tease out any detail at all from 10 year old photos.

• 2 months later...

Hardly ever unfortunately.

Weathers terrible, there are street lights capable of giving you a tan, the neighbours security lights leave your shape permanently burnt into the fence, my front garden (such as it is) is on the main thru fare across my development and my rear garden faces pretty much north or at least it does beyond the ten foot fences, the array of three story houses and the thermonuclear proportioned glow of Derby city centre, which I understand has a half life of around 10,000 years!

All in all not a great combination!

I  only hang onto the set up in case I ever get to retire at around 105 or get put into a rural care home with a South facing garden!

Not that I'm bitter at all.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2014 at 14:02, fwm891 said:

Hi Nick,

Not a visual observer, imaging only (can't quite remember when I last 'looked' through an eyepiece.

Imaging wise as often as possible at whatever time I can

I'm tending more towards imaging these days. Most of my visual observing is through binoculars. That might change when there's more planets in the evening sky. I like to snap with a DSLR. I'm still learning and finding there is just so many potential targets and so little time.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't think I've been out one night since Kelling last year...

Hopefully once I get a small scope that's easy to set up for the small amount of time I can use it will get me back into semi-regular observing!

I saw the Sun through cloud twice today. Once with filtered binoculars and later with my Coronado PST.

Not a sniff of any night time viewing, though.