• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bobs Knobs ! Installation on a C8.....

Bino-viewer

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to start a programme of 'upgrades' to my Celestron C8 'Edge HD' 8" SCT

(i'm one of those people who can't leave scopes alone and have to 'tinker'  :facepalm: )

Firstly, in todays post arrived a set of Bob's Knobs collimation screws, all the way from 

Centreville, Indiana USA, courtesy of RVO, Kiverton !

A mere £20.95 !  Thats nearly £7.00 per screw........... :o  How much............!!!!!!!  :o

Anyway, i've never fitted them / collimated before and was wondering if anyone has any tips / recommendations for me,

before i make a hash of things,

Thanks in advance,

BV (Rob)

Guest CodnorPaul

I have put them on my C8 - really easy.

Just follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine - don't remove all screws at once, and do a rough collimation indoors before trying a star test when you get chance.  Also make sure you don't overtighten them otherwise you can damage your secondary - tighten them with the pressure as though you were holding an egg in your fingers and then your fingers will slip when they are tight enough and before anything gets damaged (read that somewhere and it worked for me) - then make sure when you have finished collimating that they are all this tight so it doesn't move.

Don't be worried - it was really easy to do on my C8 and now I just need to practice collimating more, but haven't needed to do it since

"A mere £20.95 !  Thats nearly £7.00 per screw........... :o  How much............!!!!!!!  :o"

You do realise there's gonna be a bill for import duty don't you? It's gonna be around an extra £1.50 per screw lol. Not had mine yet and mine arrived just before Xmas - so I'm expecting it in 8 months time when I'm least expecting it. :lol:

I bought some for my c8 and didn't have to pay any import duty don't think they qualify as my screws were about 15 pounds.

Just change one at a time and then do a star test

"A mere £20.95 !  Thats nearly £7.00 per screw........... :o  How much............!!!!!!!  :o"

You do realise there's gonna be a bill for import duty don't you? It's gonna be around an extra £1.50 per screw lol. Not had mine yet and mine arrived just before Xmas - so I'm expecting it in 8 months time when I'm least expecting it. :lol:

....If you look at the RVO website, they list 46 different telescope systems for Bobs Knobs.

At around £5-£8 per screw i reckon Bob is sitting back home in Indiana with a pretty big smile on his face  :lol: !

Thanks for all you tips & insight chaps.....most helpful.

I'll post again when the successful knob transplant is complete. ;)

Part two will be a focuser upgrade....... :)

Yes - unfortunately the only Knobs from Bob that aren't listed were the ones I wanted for the 16" LB. So I had to order from the states. They don't do the extra strong springs for it either.