• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello New to Telescopes but Old Night Skywatcher

stash

Hello to everyone.

Just started with a real telescope (10" SW Flex Dob growing list of bits) last one was more like  Long John Silver's which I used for Fishing and locating lost Birds of Prey 45 yrs ago!. Astro is much like night fishing - cold, mostly wet, catch/see nothing but quiet and you see a lot of wild life.

Anyway Hello and sorry in advance for asking dumb questions but I have learn't if you dont ask you never learn and I hate reading books for too long.  :)

HI Andy & Kim,

Sorry I was looking out the backroom window to see if the clouds had gone yet (as forecast  :D ) - looks promising here in Cranwell. 

Thanks for the warm welcome from sunny iIkeston (know it pretty well - Nephew was a fireman there and lived at West Halam!) and Leicester.

Hi Clive, it's a small world! I'm in RAF Cranwell and also have a 10" SW Flexi Dob (+MN190 & meg72!) also a member of ELAC the 'local' branch os EMS!  :)

Cheers

Ron

Hi Clive, it's a small world! I'm in RAF Cranwell and also have a 10" SW Flexi Dob (+MN190 & meg72!) also a member of ELAC the 'local' branch os EMS!  :)

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Ah yes seen your posts

How long have you had your SW 250 and how do your find the quality of the fixtures and fittings - I find the engineering a bit wayward but I guess its the old "pays your money etc ".  Collimation I find difficult especially using a laser - I have been following Dion at Astroshed who seems to have a lot of common sense on the subject as I no nothing.  Have to learn to walk before you can run I guess  :(

Hi Clive, SW250 is OK, mine was a auto goto model but I have removed the gears, added a setting circle and use a 'Wixey' for Alt adjustment. Sort out my target on Stellarium (free program!) then use setting circle and Wixey and go straight to the target!! Collimation, umm! I canged the focuser on the scope and have only just got it colimated correctly!! I use a Hotech laser collimater which is self centreing.

You will have to call in  some time for a collimation/astro chat!!

Cheers

Ron

HI Clive, a warm welcome to EMS.

Looks like you have an astro buddy on your doorstep, a top chap as well is Ron.

If you have any questions just ask, someone will be along to help out, even if you think it's a daft question, I have asked loads of them.

Look forward to meeting you sometime.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Sorry if I am a bit slow to answer I hate Social Media (not the people just the s/w ) and IT - That's a bit mad because I have spent the last 40 odd years making a leaving from IT  :facepalm2: So I am not being rude just getting my head around another bit of forum software

So again appologies

Hi Clive, SW250 is OK, mine was a auto goto model but I have removed the gears, added a setting circle and use a 'Wixey' for Alt adjustment. Sort out my target on Stellarium (free program!) then use setting circle and Wixey and go straight to the target!! Collimation, umm! I canged the focuser on the scope and have only just got it colimated correctly!! I use a Hotech laser collimater which is self centreing.

Cheers

Ron

Interesting you got rid of the GoTo bit but there again there is something great about old school and doing it yourself - Is the Wixey a stand alone device or one of the USB connected ones - I presume its magnetic and sticks to you OTA. I have used an Android App which emulates a Wixey but found it to inaccurate. I use a combo of PC Stellarium,Android Google Star Map and lots of luck. The laser I bought (a cheapo) looks like its not accurate (Not done a V test) as I use Altair self centering adapter. 

I think my worst problem is deciding if I am a Astrophotographer (I am not a photograhper even ) as I love the pics you all get or just a generally Sky Scanner

Still as you say we will have to meet up - May come along to Badger's to have a look see - if that's OK

I took my gears out of my 300P auto dob as well and done a similar thing to Ron. The reason is that the auto dobs have so much backlash in the go-to drive system that it's not very accurate. With the gears removed you have no backlash and with a manual setting circle and a wixey you can find anything dead quick. Only drawback is it does not track but for me thats not a problem.

I am a fiddler (not the Music version) so I have been looking into using engineering rotary tables and a lazy Susie and building my own set up just to see if I can. As Mick says , reading lots of stuff and trying some "By hand" tracking is the bit that's not part of a Dob. But I love the article on the "Hiss" drive I found .

Anyway logging off to get my dinner as "her indoors" has just called me - speak to you all soon - tight lines oops I mean Clear Skies :P

I actually followed Mick's (Doc) advice and glad I did! The Wixey is a stand alone magnetic one, it's the setting circle fixed to the bottom base that's the clever bit! As you say, call in sometime and I'll explain and show you. I use my MN190 on an HEQ5 pier mounted in a 'roll 'off' obsy for astrophotography, just getting into now! 4th Feb next Badger farm meet (although they are there tonight as well!) you'd be welcome to a lift!

Cheers

Ron

Hi welcome to EMS.

I loved modding my dob, made it so much more usable.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

• 1 month later...

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Can I ask, why did you remove the auto goto in favour of more traditional techniques?

I just fancied one of those, but I'm newish to this game.

Cheers,

Ade