• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello New to Telescopes but Old Night Skywatcher

stash

I think that most folks who have had a conventional Dob in the past, are happier without waiting for the motors to acquire the object. They are fairly noisy, slow, and not always accurate.

The mods you can do with the angle gauges do away with having to rely on the go-to to find difficult targets.

Doc has stripped his out as well. I should imagine it saves the battery life for your dew heaters as well.

Ironically, Kim started off with the push-to version, which told you where to point it, and then took over the tracking. He converted it to a full go-to, which has been again converted, but for a 16" Light bridge. :D

Yup - it was originally the "Auto" version of the flextube which included encoders and a manual arrow key handset. It would "push to" or slew with arrow keys and then track wherever it was pointed. I then purchased the goto upgrade kit - which was basically just a new handset giving it full Synscan goto capability and an object databse.

Some folks prefer setting circles and Wixey angle guage cos they have a good knowledge of the sky or a finder app to hand (eg Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel). I'll just be relying on sky knowledge with the Lightbridge - in the hope I actually get some sky knowledge lol. :)

"in the hope I actually get some sky knowledge lol." - pull the other one its got bells on it  - you have forgotten more then I will probably know - No Moo Cow :)

IMO I love "hunting" for the objects BUT then when I have found them (getting better!)  I won't to prove (too myself as well) I saw what I saw in case I am seeing things (Venus Objects  :D ) and to look back. So to have the finite control once you have found the object so that I can take a "snap shot" (I am rubbish at photography being a click and shoot person) is something I fancy having.

At the same time I hope to gain knowledge doing things practically - I was never one for reading (e.g. IT manuals) I just nod off to sleep

Each too his own !

"At the same time I hope to gain knowledge doing things practically - I was never one for reading (e.g. IT manuals) I just nod off to sleep"

Each too his own !

Me too, very hands on and only use a manual when I'm stuck. Like solving puzzles...........

Have ended up with a bag of bits on a few occasions though  B)  B)

Ade

Hi Ade,

Hope you are feeling better !

Yeh amzing how there are more screws left over after putting things back together !

My wife says its because I am "pig headed" - which is true I guess