• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Crab nebula

Guest beewolf

Guest beewolf

I spent a while last night trying to spot the crab nebula without success - I have seen it years ago and I am pretty sure I am looking in the right place.

The "Binocular Sky" site lists it as an object for binoculars so I had a go with my new 15 x 70s and also with the EMS 8" dob, which I was sure would pick it out - no luck with either.

Am I expecting too much on a moonlit night?

The moon is gonna wash most deep sky objects out Gavin - it all depends where the moon was at the time - things get easier in the East as it approaches setting in the west - which is early morning hours currently.

M1's about a third the distance on a line from Alnath towards Betelgeuse - roughly where a line from Adebaran joins it at 90degs. :)

Guest beewolf

It was early evening - kids can't really stay up long enough at the moment but the sky seemed clear so we had a go anyway. I was going from the end of Taurus's southern horn (think its zeta Taurus) in a line towards Alnath, theres a nice 7th mag star not far up which should be just east of the crab. Make sense?

Its just fun having a go to be honest!

Its just fun having a go to be honest!

And that is all that matters, if it aint fun, why bother???? - get yourself and the kids to a dark site at the weekend when they might be allowed to stay up a little bit later for being good, then all the stuff you cant see from your back garden will jump out.

Hi, As a returning Newbie, last night I loaded a certain star chart application onto my iPad.

Set it into red night mode and took it out with me and held it up to the night sky and was amazed that it followed the sky as I moved and you can search for objects like M1 and it shows you exactly where they are and then you can zoom to see a representation of the object......

Just did not have anything like that years ago....

I'm yet again blown away :-)

Adrian 

• 2 weeks later...

I just about made it visible using my Altair 130edt / televue delos 6mm / ieq45 a  couple of weeks ago , averted vision was  required, it was still very faint & the moon was nowhere near as bright as now,  keep looking but a bit disappointing  visually.

It really is a faint grey blob, I didn't see it until two years ago, Rusty Strings showed me where it is. Once you have found it though you can get it nearly straight away.

I've seen the crab a few times in my 8 inch scope. Just a faint great (small) smudge but easy to see again once you have seen it once. Kin won't have any trouble seeing it in his massive dob!

That's what I'm hoping Felix - and thanks for the tip about the mirror fan on Sat night - very useful to know. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beewolf

Saw the crab last night through the 200p - it was just where we had been looking before so must have been washed out by the moon. It is faint though!

We also managed m81, m82 and the supernova, so quite pleased overall.

Edited by beewolf

Excellent stuff Gavin - you must be dead chuffed. :)

I've still not found the crab yet. Sprained an ankle yesterday so no way could I get the dob out last night (yet again I'm dead miffed at missing out on a good night for observing).

I first saw the M1 through a 60mm Tasco under very dark skies when I was a lad. Ive since bagged it all sorts and sizes of scope, its quite easy once you know where to look, however stick a moon in the sky and you can forget it in all but larger scope. The moon will wash any faint objects out. You need a nice dark background to make these faint fuzzies visible

Took me years to find it, it's a heck of a lot fainter than I thought, I only got to see it a couple of years ago. 

It doesn't look too much like the images, does it!

Here are a few of my reports about M1. I have since it loads of times but under dead dark skies it's unmissable and with an O111 filter it stands out really well.

I then decided to hunt for the M1 the Crab Nebula in Taurus I didn't expect to see nothing as I've read so many reports about this being very hard to spot but would try anyway as the limiting magnitude of the sky was getting nearer mag 5.
Found Zeta Tau and placed my Telrad on it and using the 2 degree marker moved it up to where I thought the M1 would be. Scaned around a little and found it. I was really so pleased with myself. Another elusive object found. Again looked really good in my TAL 25mm at x73 looked, oval in apperence. A hazy mottled white smudge but definetly oval in design. Put in my 8 mm Hyperion and at x228 could make out the shape still but no extra detail emerged.

After this swung the dob back over to Taurus and spotted the Crab Nebula M1 straight away. It was so easy to spot I was pretty shocked. The shape of the nebula clearly stood out against the dark background but no filament or any other detail could be seen using a variety of eyepieces. Best view was in the Tal 25mm at x73 with a FOV of just under one degree.

Back over to Taurus as it was now slightly higher and easily found the Crab Nebula M1. This was very faint but unmistakable, an ill-defined hazy patch of light that through the 16 Uwan at x 114 looked great, by inserting the O111 filter the shape becomes a little more pronounced but only marginally, no inner filmament structure was seen, but I really enjoyed observing this one.

Wow what a night, the Crab Nebula looked amazing tonight sitting above Orion, I could even see it through the 28mm Uwan. I swear I could even glimpse a tad of structure, but not sure. The 16mm Uwan really increased the contrast and the shape was so easy to see. Must be perfect seeing for a change as I've never seen it like this.

Right - that's it - soon as my foot's fixed the LB is coming out on a crab hunt lol.

(I wanna bag Saturn too now the rings are back open and it rises after midnight - should be awesome in the dob)

I've spotted it in 15x70 bins but it's a very rare pot. To me it is more one of the objects to cross of the list of things to see before you die than pure eye candy. I find anything nebulous, even M42, is affected by moonlight. The open clusters are the last DSOs lost in moonlight.

• 1 month later...

13514303533_f1269fb92b.jpg

Hi folks. I spent 3 nights before I found M1. Definately not worth trying when there's moon. Can now find it quite easily using the above star hop.

Start at Gemini and Castors foot - Tejat, through Propus (Red line) and continue till you reach the fairly bright Zeta Taurus. With a wide field you should be able to see the pattern of 4 stars with Zet Tau being at bottom right. M1 sits on top of this (roughly) square asterism (arrowed).

I've got it a couple of times with my 4" short tube. I agree that it's not the gratest thing to look at. it's finding it that's the fun / challenge.

I quite often image stuff then go looking for it. Sometimes reversing the photo to black dots on white (saves a lot of ink) and using it as a finder chart. Did this with M81 / 82.

Hope this helps.

Only on my phone but i can't see the crab, but the phone won't let me zoom in very much. I need a better look on a pc.

I had a play with the crab once, i'm not a DSO imager, and was surprised how faint and small it was.

Jd

Sorry, had to do this! :facepalm:

11237632983_332d231c32.jpg

Ron!!!    :nonono:

Please don't foul the observing section with your dark sider images.

We will have none of that here.....

;)  :D:lol::P