• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NEQ 6 Power Mod

catman161

A question more aimed at those that have actually done it, so (as far as I know!) Stephen (Kheldar) but I welcome any help from anyone!

I want to do the following power socket modification to my mount:

http://bendun.net/Images/STARFEST2011/EQ6%20Power%20Plug%20Modification.pdf

My questions are:

-What size drill bit will I need?

-Is it fairly easy to do?

I am off to maplins later today to get some broadband range extenders and thought whilst I am there I could pick up the bits needed for the power mod if it is not too difficult a task for someone who isn't bad, but not amazing good at DIY.

Thanks all in advance :)

will be looking at this thread with interest also.

i`ve already bought the metal plug and socket from fle bay as i was going to mod my heq5 but now i`ve bought a neq6 which seems to be working ok at the moment.

The only reason I want to do it rob is that 2 times now I have been walking around the mount and my snowboarding trousers that I wear have lots of "poppers" around the ankle for adjusting for different sized boots and these have caught the power cable and pulled it out forcing me to start all over again. Once I was actually in the middle of an avi capture!

It looks fairly straight forward but I just wanted to ask in case there is anything I may be overlooking.

Would it be better to find a way to secure the cable out of the way? I caught mine recently and ripped the cable from the socket. I'm glad I only had a quick soldering job rather than dragging the mount over.

it`s not just the cable being pulled out, there`s alot of trouble when your out in the field when just for a split second the mount can loose power and then your in trouble. the mod gets rid of this chance occurance.

the only real big problem i wasnt looking forward to when doing the mod on the neq6 is the fact that the power panel is in two parts when removed and you have to separate them and drill the hole in exactly the correct place.

I was going to do this but decided against it. Instead I have used a couple of aluminium sticky backed cable clips. They have done the job perfectly and given me absolutely no trouble at all. Cost about 20p and took me less than a minute to do.

Guest Kheldar

@Felix : Depends on the part (socket) you use - mine was around 20mm (do you have a pair of calipers to measure the thread on the socket?)

@Xanthix : The problem is the poor QC on the socket itself. Mine was not too bad, Sheila's would form an intermittent connection and drop (break contact) with the smallest of encouragement

@Rob : It's not that bad I promise, and the hole does not have to be "that" precise (+/- 10mm from where my centre spot ended up I guess)

Awesome thanks Stephen :) I will measure the plug when I get it. I just wondered if it was a particularly difficult mod to do really or it there was anything to look out for.

@Mike I currently use the clip method also but I still get intermittent "flickering" of the red light and sometimes it just drops power. This doesn't happen frequently bit when it does and the seeings good and it drops out when you're having a great time, for me it can be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back and be enough for me to pack up.

@Leigh it would have to be a full on entanglement of the cable wrapped circumferentially around my entire leg for me to exert enough force to pull the entire setup over. Although I guess I could be unlucky and that might happen-unlikely though I think.It is just the small catches that are more a frustration more than anything.

I tend to keep the cables fairly tidy it's jut one of their annoying niggly things really that I would like to do to eradicate the possibility of accidental power loss for whatever reason.

Guest Kheldar

@Xanthic : I agree :)

@Felix : <redacted>

You have to take care putting it back in the mount head, there's room, but not a lot so you have to be careful of trapping the newly added wires.

Also worth throwing in SW's two newest mounts (AZEQ6, EQ8) both now use this self same socket for power, think they've finally seen the light on that one :)

Edited by Kheldar

Guest twintin

I have recently done this mod on my HEQ5 using the same connector from Maplins. It needs a 16mm bit. I used a spade bit (and a steady hand) as the HEQ5 power panel is plastic. Not sure if the 6 is metal or plastic?

Guest Kheldar

I have recently done this mod on my HEQ5 using the same connector from Maplins. It needs a 16mm bit. I used a spade bit (and a steady hand) as the HEQ5 power panel is plastic. Not sure if the 6 is metal or plastic?

Smaller than I remember then, must have been thinking of something else unless our connectors are different (mine was from fleaBay.)

6 is metal :)

I modded my HEQ5 last year and rather than messing with the circuit board I just ran two wires from the original power socket to the new socket.

Bonus is you can plug into the original socket for powering accessories....

I modded my HEQ5 last year and rather than messing with the circuit board I just ran two wires from the original power socket to the new socket.

Bonus is you can plug into the original socket for powering accessories....

That sounds interesting Andy but I am not sure I get what you mean? Maybe it'll be clearer when I open it up tomorrow. Thanks for the tip I like the idea of an extra power socket for dew bands etc. food for thought :)

That sounds interesting Andy but I am not sure I get what you mean? Maybe it'll be clearer when I open it up tomorrow. Thanks for the tip I like the idea of an extra power socket for dew bands etc. food for thought :)

Think of it this way, the original power socket is already connected to the circuit board so if you run two wires ( + & -) from the original socket to the new socket its job done!

Oh right I think I see! So basically just solder the new sockets wires to the contact points at the original socket then?

Yes, saves messing with the circuit board.

A word of caution! I tired running dew bands from the same power supply that powers the mount and the mount light flickers when the dew band draws power. Causing the mount to lose position I was at my wits end what was causing it when I saw the red led flicker I disconnected the dew band and the mount returned to normal. I never use the same psu to power dew and mount now and I've never had the problem.

Of course if you have a beefy enough power supply it may handle the current draw without affecting the mount

Thanks Tom. I currently use a splitter for the regular power socket and one plug powers the mount with the other lead going to the bottom if the tube to power the fan and I've not had any problems so if I do go down the route of using the regular socket it will most likely only be to the cooling fan rather than the large draw of my dew kit.

Guest CodnorPaul

I use a splitter on my battery for dew and mount, 105Ah battery, I get a flickering light but so far it hasnt affected mount in any way, I am mindful of it though.

once warranty out on it will probably sort it and add belt drive via Graham

Guest Kheldar

First thought is that the mod already does what Andy suggests - you tap into the existing socket so both continue to function.

Second is powering other accessories from the original socket ... That way leads to over current through the motherboard ... I'd be wary, doesn't take much additional draw to fry one