• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NEQ 6 Power Mod

catman161

Hmm worth thinking about hanks Stephen As you will see from my post in the beginners section I am getting nowhere fast! I can't even solder!! :(

I am absolutely thrilled to announce that I have completed the mod! :D

I know it's really silly bit I am really happy as normally I don't have the nerve to have a go at things like this and I went for it, nearly had a meltdown as I couldn't work out how to solder (I know, idiot!) then mike came to the rescue and told me what to do to solder effectively and I went for it and it is done :D

The hardest part was actually taking an old microphone cable and putting the new plugs (two pin locking plug/cigarette lighter plug) on each end. The circuit board part was easy. The drilling was a bit hairy but only cos I was scared that I might mess it up but it's all turned out ok :) So below re the pics to prove I've actually done it! Wahoo! Note the bright red Power LED that isn't and now won't flicker at all!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks perfect Felix, well done,

nice when a plan comes together,

i had bought the same plug for my mod be i chickened out, but i might have a go now, where did you get the cable from ? i was going to cut the plug of the skytron ncable i bought from flo a while back but the round cable looks better.

great mod !

Thanks Rob :) it's an old microphone cable that I have had from new that's been sitting in a box for years! Bit of a faff stripping the shielding from around it to get to he two wires in the centre but definitely worth it as this type of cable doesn't go rigid in low temperatures and is very flexible. I just cut the exiting plugs off and wired the new plugs to each end-once mike had told me how I solder :D

Definitely give it a go Rob as (it may be that I'm on a high) but I swear the red power LED is actually brighter :) LOL!

Guest AstroOlly

Hi all,

Just to add my similar experience

I had the exact same problem on my fork mounted LX90, so I hard wired a power cable into the base using the battery compartment wires 12v wires, so now I have a 2 metre curly power cable coming from the base to a cigar lighter plug. Never have any power dips now, I was losing connection for 12 months before I realised what was causing The problem, as you said just a flicker of the red LED was enough to, have to start all over again.

Regards

Olly