• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Charles Frank Newtonians

Doc

I bid 120 that was rejected then had 10 secs left put in 150 and I was to late but I would have lost anyway I bet he put in a big bid.

Oh well saves a trip to London and 50 quid in fuel. If you see anymore local ones let me know.

Blast! I was rather hoping you'd get that so I could call round and watch it being dismantled.

Ah well next time.... ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest chair_back_astronomer

Hi! Found this thread as I am currently refurbishing and bringing back to life. I bought my Charles Frank mount for a home-built 8" when I was about 16 (mid 1960s). I bought the synchronous motor and RA drive a year or so later. Never did much with it, as I went off to Uni. It languished for many years whilst I had access to larger scopes, but now I am resurrecting it for digital camera wide-field use. I seems to be very well built, but the fibre pads used in the bearings need replacing. One of the threads on the mounting holes for the RA drive also seems to be shot.

But not at all bad for a 48 year old bit of hardware.

When I have cleaned it up and put the guide scope and camera on it, I'll post a picture.

Mike

Hi Mike welcome to EMS.

I'll look forward to those pics, it's a shame I didn't get it but then I haven't really got the time to do it up, it would look nice though and would have been a great project.

Hi Mike, a warm welcome to EMS.

Good luck with the project, should look great when you have it done.

• 9 years later...