• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NEQ6 declination problem

Teslar

So it finally looks like I've knackered my mount. I've had no time to set it up properly since it came back after the belt mod so I was really keen to get it going tonight. So I started from scratch and squared the mount but when adjusting declination I felt something give.... And experienced that awful sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Well you guessed it the bloody dec screw skidded off the peg inside the mount. So the question is what's the best way of sorting this mess out. I've heard about those engraved side plates snapping into pieces when trying to access the main bolt but I can't see how I'm going to fix this without getting inside. I recon I'm going to have to fit a bit of steel plate or something inside. Us guys who live a little further north risk this damage a lot with stainless steel bolts as at 55deg the bolt is right on the edge of the peg

I'm hacked off big time right now as it looks like the NEQ6 is out of action for a while :(

Edited by Teslar

Oh man that's horrible. Sorry to hear that. I was reading a thread about this on SGL I'll see if I can find it and post a link. You will have to go inside I think. The logos can come off without breaking bit it's not easy apparently. I'll have a look for tht thread on SGL

Right here's the thread (below)

Have a good read through it as it appears that the author makes these kits to sort your problem to order-cannot see pricing anywhere but it's definitely worth sending him a PM on SGL. I am sure you don't have to go for the whole kit he produces maybe just the bit to solve your specific problem. I must admit though they are nice the kits he makes :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/161907-neq6-tuning-kit/

Sorry to hear it Tom. To get the side decals off warm then up first with a hair drier to try and soften the glue a little before gently prising them off with a thin bladed screw driver. Best I can offer at this stage never having opened up an NEQ6 myself. :)

gutted to hear this Tom.

If you are using a pier with an adjustable top plate tilt the plate so you donot have to use so much dec on the mount.

Thanks for the link Felix and I appreciate all the comments. I've been wary of this since I did the SS bolt upgrade as I knew they could chew the peg but despite all me care it's still way to easy to do this

It seems Gunnar is not able to make parts at the moment because his milling machine is being upgraded but hopefully I'll get one soon. I'm going to try the cheese cutter wire and hair dryer method to remove the side plates. Wish me luck..........

No problem Tom. Is that what Gunnar said still?! Did you ask him in a pm? A the post where he states that his machine is being upgraded is from a year ago. Might be worth checking with him personally if you haven't already?? Hope you get it sorted Tom.

No probs :) Keep us updated, would be great if you could get hold of one of his kits and change everything at the same time, they're rather nice aren't they?

Gunnar replied I can supply one quickly but it would be un anodised. So I either find someone who can hard anodise for me or wait until Gunnar has a batch to make it worth while

So does anyone know where I can get one anodised quickly ??

Apparently the part needs a steel insert after anodising so I've agreed to wait till Gunnar had them ready for sale. Ho Hum at least the weather forecast suggests I'll not miss anything. Now I've got two weeks to worry about taking off the side panels to access the main bolt ;)

Good hobby init Tom!  :)

Hope all goes well though and your 'back in business' soon!

Cheers

Ron