• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Observing from canary islands

Orion

Do any of the members have short trips to the canary islands (jan - mar) to observe/image the skies from well established dark sites in the mountains? Observing at night and chilling in the shade in the daytime?

No, but it sounds appealing, especially if someone else has to carry all the kit through the airports :)

Damian Peach the planetary imager often goes all over the world with his kit and he uses a 11-14" scopes. That is dedication, but then that is why he gets some of the best images.

James

i have never tried this as most of the airlines  hand luggage allowances are too small and i would not trust my scope to the

baggage handlers :wacko:

Are you planning La Palma, or one of the other 4'main islands' ?

Edited by Bino-viewer

I don't have any plans. But I've heard of some trips by some groups to e.g. tenerife which seems popular. I had meant with limited kit, small stuff; e.g. camera on piggyback platforms, without platforms but just on tripod; web cams with small portable scopes.

Also, I wondered if anyone knew what the possibility was of visiting an observatory and view someone imaging (if it's allowed thro public visits or by someone knowing anyone that worked there - by private arrangements).

The idea of some observing sessions followed by sitting in the sun or bar and sharing a meal/tapas with a lively astro bunch appealed to me.

There could already be some amateur astronomers like us with kit, living there who might be prepared to let us visit etc. Just a thought.

I'll check the link on bins.

Might make a nice change from the freezing cold observing sessions here at this time

Just read your report Peter. It sounds amazing. I'd go.

I assume EMS members know of that observatory B&B place in portamao, portugal. Anyone fancy that too?