• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

moving primary up the tube ?

Guest sharpie78

Guest sharpie78

Hi Guys,

I am now the proud owner of a SW Quattro 8s and if I attach my DSLR directly to the focuser with the 2" to t-mount adapter I am able to achieve focus without any problem at all.

If I attach it with the 2" to 1.25" adapter so I can use my existing barlow and filters etc I can't get focus. I'm 95% certain that it is due to lack of inward travel on the focuser as the adapter mentioned above brings the DSLR a further 2" (ish) away from the OTA. This is a bit of a pain as I would like to image some smaller objects and obviously want higher magnification than the 30x I get with just the DSLR.

Is my only option to move the primary up the tube or is there another way of doing it ? I had to move the mirror on my little SW explorer 130 so I'm cool with doing the mod but would like to save the grief.

Can any one help please ?

:)

I think you would be disappointed with the results, DSLR's and barlows are not a good mix.

Guest sharpie78

I found that with my little newt but thought it might be a bit better with the larger scope. Any suggestions on how I might get closer shots of say....the ring nebula or jupiter/saturn ?? Am I just going to have to take images with the magnification I've got then zoom in and crop with Photoshop ?

I found that with my little newt but thought it might be a bit better with the larger scope. Any suggestions on how I might get closer shots of say....the ring nebula or jupiter/saturn ?? Am I just going to have to take images with the magnification I've got then zoom in and crop with Photoshop ?

Yes, or get yourself an ATIK16ic if you can find one.

Here is a shot of the ring nebula through a Skywatcher 200p (1000mm fl) with an ATIK16ic-

M57_14_29Apr13_ver1_zpse7ee86d3.png

Cropping the DSLR image is the easy option, the above shot is in the region of 740x500 pixels.

Of course if you wish to try it without drilling holes in the OTA you could put longer Colli bolts in with springs on.

Guest sharpie78

Thats what I did on my little newt Graham and it worked fine. Think I'll see what results I get as is and then make the decision. 

Seeing as you're here Graham.....I've been meaning to ask you if you do mount servicing ? possibly a belt drive mod for HEQ5 too ? 

Guest Kheldar

I think you would be disappointed with the results, DSLR's and barlows are not a good mix.

Seconded - what's the sense in buying an f4 to use it at f8?!

Sorry to be blunt, but this is not the correct scope for the job :) Your scope with a DSLR is not designed for close in planetary work. It's a fast Newt. Think big! :D

Yes, or get yourself an ATIK16ic if you can find one.

Here is a shot of the ring nebula through a Skywatcher 200p (1000mm fl) with an ATIK16ic-

This is an equally valid option - smaller sensor, smaller FOV :)

-----

However my advice is this : your scope is an f4 monster, the critical collimation point is about 1.5mm in cross sectional area. Moving the mirror up the tube is firstly going to shrink that ( :ladyshock: ) and secondly make your scope even faster = smaller FOV.

Just my 2p, don't do it :)

Edited by Kheldar

Thats what I did on my little newt Graham and it worked fine. Think I'll see what results I get as is and then make the decision. 

Seeing as you're here Graham.....I've been meaning to ask you if you do mount servicing ? possibly a belt drive mod for HEQ5 too ? 

The answer is yes to both your questions Jack. :) :) :)

Guest sharpie78

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know what my plan is now......

• Leave my new scope well alone......like you say Stephen, what's the point in buying an f4 if I'm not going to use it as intended.
  • Get my focusing spot on and zoom in with photoshop
  • Save for a slower scope to do planetary work with (there goes the plan to save money....never gonna happen in this hobby  :lol: )
  • Use my webcam in my slower little newt if I get the urge to image the solar system while I'm saving up
  • Find something else to tinker with over the weekend now I'm not going to be modding my new scope

Thanks again guys. Once again EMS knowledge to the rescue   :D  :D  :D